Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Hey everyone!

I've been running my Hackintosh for a few years now (it was dual booting with Mountain Lion and Windows 7), and it has some older hardware:
Motherboard: GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU: Intel i7 2700K​

It was running on GTX 570 HD SC, which as of a few months ago died on me. EVGA was very kind to send a few replacement cards until one worked: GTX 1050 Ti SC (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MF7EQJZ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20, for reference).

The card goes great with my Windows 7 (and soon to be Windows 10) partition, no problems at all. The card wasn't recognized by the Mountain Lion partition either, but I've been wanted to do an upgrade for a while. From my understanding, based on my Sandy Bridge CPU, I believe the last OS X that can support that is Sierra. I was looking through guides at Sierra and I wasn't sure if my Hackintosh could also do Clover, so I decided to stick with Chimera and upgrade it to Yosemite for now.

Following the Yosemite Guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...emite-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.143976/), I made a bootable Yosemite USB, installed Yosemite over my Mountain Lion partition, and it booted into it fine from the USB (no worries there). I went to use MultiBeast (the one for Yosemite/Chimera, which was 7.5.0) and installed the following drivers (note that I'm doing this from memory since I can't get back into Yosemite to check which drivers I installed):
  • ALC889 Audio Driver
  • 3rd Party SATA
  • The Integrated Graphics one (I forgot the full name of it, but it was the only option)
  • FakeSMC (the first option)
  • RTL8111 2.0.0
  • Chimera 4.0.1
  • Instant Menu
  • 1080p Boot Menu
  • Simple Boot Options
  • USB 3.0 Drivers
  • Intel i7 Overclocked
  • Mac 3,1
  • GraphicsEnabler=Yes (as I believe my card isn't natively supported)
I went to restart and the boot menu looks great (before my Chimera 2.0.0 made it look a little lousy) and going into my Macintosh partition, it also looked "good" (meaning, it wasn't stretched or anything)...

Boot Menu.jpg

...but then it got stuck at the half-way point at the Macintosh loading screen.

Stuck at Loading Screen.jpg
  • I do not have VT-d so that is disabled.
  • I tried "GraphicsEnabler=No" at the normal boot menu and it still got stuck at the loading bar mid-way.
  • I restarted and tried using the "-v" tag; I am posting the images I got, but that also doesn't do much (it gets to a point and stops).
  • I looked at a few threads (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/os-x-yosemite-stuck-at-loading-screen.162719/) and tried "dart=0 nv_disable=1 -no-zp -f -v", but that also didn't work.
  • I tried going into my Yosemite UniBeast USB and doing "-v -x -f" tags for my partition; that loaded, BUT when I tried to log into my profile, I got an error that it wasn't found or something (which is weird because it was working when I first did the installation).
-v Read Out.jpg

I'm a little stuck and not sure what to do. There are a few theories I have:
  • I don't think my graphics card is supported and that MAY be causing the issues? Even if I install Sierra, I would need alternative nVidia drivers, from my understanding, so I'm not sure if even upgrading to Sierra with Clover is the answer.
  • Do I need to reinstall Yosemite, or try again to get into my account with safe mode (or if it doesn't "find my profile," even though I clicked on it and entered my password, is there an alternative approach to get in?)?
  • Any other boot flags I should try?
Any help is super appreciated, and please let me know if there is additional information I can help provide. Thank you so much!

The new graphics card GTX 1050 Ti is not supported in Yosemite, and you will need to install Sierra 10.12.6 (and as you said you also need the Nvidia web drivers) or High Sierra 10.13.6 in order to use the graphics card fully.

The Unibeast USB stick created using the Sierra uses the Clover bootloader instead of Chimera. Your system will be able to boot using Clover in either Legacy or UEFI mode, depending on whether you have upgraded the BIOS to UEFI or not.

Hey @james-bond007 ; yeah, my motherboard is U1L (UEFI BIOS). I didn't think High Sierra supported Sandy Bridge, but was I wrong on that assumption?

Hey @james-bond007 ; yeah, my motherboard is U1L (UEFI BIOS). I didn't think High Sierra supported Sandy Bridge, but was I wrong on that assumption?

High Sierra (and Mojave also) will and can run on Sandy Bridge hardware like yours. My Sandy Build runs everything from Mavericks 10.9.5 to High Sierra 10.13.6 great.

It is with Mojave that Apple removed support for its Sandy Bridge based Macs (2011), but not because the CPU is incompatible, it is because the Intel CPU integrated graphics HD3000 does not support Metal. So if you have a graphics card that is supported with Mojave (say a RX 560), you should be able to run Mojave even.

Your GTX 1050 Ti is not supported in Mojave due to the lack of Nvidia web drivers, so the highest you can run now is High Sierra 10.13.6.

Thanks @james-bond007 for the insight. I'll look into making a High Sierra installer; do you have any insight on how I'll be able to log into my Yosemite though in my current setup to create the USB installer?

As an update, "nv_disable=1", "-x","-v", and "-f" don't work; "-x" leads to black screen before it reboots, and "-v" leads to the screenshot in my original post with no Mac loading screen. "nv_disable=1" leads to the Mac loading screen but it doesn't leave the halfway point. I can sort of log in through the Yosemite USB installer (meaning, it goes back the loading screen and onto my accounts to log in), but none of my accounts work and won't load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back