Contribute
Register

Yosemite Handoff-capable Bluetooth adapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the wires seem a little long and kind of wrap around. Wish they were a little more exact - upon installation i accidentally bumped one of them lose. Might have been that way just by being in the mail, didn't notice until it was separated. Snapped right back on, though.

I've GOT to get an AC router - a single 2.4GHz stream means that any time my daughter's Nook Tablet (2011 version) is connected to wifi, the speeds really dip because it's an 802.11g device. Thankfully Cyanogenmod is weird on the device and whenever the screen is off the wifi sleeps. When it's asleep, the wifi card maxes out my internet connection.

The wifi card in my wife's Hack is the 2.4GHz-only Rosewill card from the guide. Transferring files between the two happens at about 4MB/s (which is 32mbit/sec). Need to plop down $200-ish for an 802.11ac router and another one of these wifi cards, I guess. Wifi gets pricey. :eek:

Yeah the wires seem a little long and kind of wrap around. Wish they were a little more exact - upon installation i accidentally bumped one of them lose. Might have been that way just by being in the mail, didn't notice until it was separated. Snapped right back on, though.

I've GOT to get an AC router - a single 2.4GHz stream means that any time my daughter's Nook Tablet (2011 version) is connected to wifi, the speeds really dip because it's an 802.11g device. Thankfully Cyanogenmod is weird on the device and whenever the screen is off the wifi sleeps. When it's asleep, the wifi card maxes out my internet connection.

The wifi card in my wife's Hack is the 2.4GHz-only Rosewill card from the guide. Transferring files between the two happens at about 4MB/s (which is 32mbit/sec). Need to plop down $200-ish for an 802.11ac router and another one of these wifi cards, I guess. Wifi gets pricey. :eek:

I only showed one side of the card on my photos but on the other side the are just the right length. The colour of the board looks a lot nicer. Do you have any lights on yours? Mine has a light for wifi, one for bluetooth and a standby light. These won't switch off when I switch off the computer, I have a see-through panel so not happy with that.
It looks nice mixed with blue lighting inside the case but like the lighting goes off when the pc is switched off so should the card.

I am really happy with it though, I tried sms relay today and instant hotspot and it works really well, I don't even need to switch on personal hotspot on my iphone.

I have the same problem with my daughters Nintendo 3DS. Who would've thought, a 2013 device that uses wireless g maximum. I do connect to my router at 150mbps. I have to buy an AC router also, I love the speeds and although all of my devices apart from my hack are N, the iPad air and the iphone 5S have the fastest N available though

Is anyone plugging a Yosemite-compatible card directly into their Mini PCI-Express slot? If yes, any success stories to share?

Yosemite-compatible cards are not the correct connector for mPCI-e. You have to get an mPCI-e adapter for it. And then depending on whether your mobo has the card vertical or horizontal, you might have an issue screwing it down since the card and adapter are both larger than half-height mPCI-e. OSXWifi has a kit. I'm sure you can get adapters on eBay, too.

demonknight9 - I didn't really notice any LEDs but I don't think so. The machine is not easily accessible from the rear right now so I can't check but I'd say probably no. I connect at 150, but my wife's card (from the buyer's guide) only connects at 54 for some reason. Doesn't seem to affect my speeds unless I'm transferring to her machine. Always has been at that speed, but the big thing is making sure she can get online. The router is in another room so maybe we're not close enough for the fastest speeds it supports.

Yeah, that is the same card. 29 days delivery and you might have to pay customs. I personally wouldn't do it but it's your money. If you do it by credit card or paypal you can always try and get your money back if it doesn't work out.

Beware of the customs, thats all I say. They put the price cheap but it's not counting with customs.

Let us know if it worked out for you

Had I known of this link first, I think, I would have gone that route, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hit hard with the Customs from Nottingham, uk. Shipping says I could receive it today up to october 29 ;-( Plus the exchange rate is outrageous from UK. to Canadian Dollars. Would have cost me only 87$ from china not 107$

I have ordered several computer parts car stereo/DVD players and monitors from china/korea and never had any problems. Customs always seems to cost me more with products from Europe than Asia

Had I known of this link first, I think, I would have gone that route, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be hit hard with the Customs from Nottingham, uk. Shipping says I could receive it today up to october 29 ;-( Plus the exchange rate is outrageous from UK. to Canadian Dollars. Would have cost me only 87$ from china not 107$

I have ordered several computer parts car stereo/DVD players and monitors from china/korea and never had any problems. Customs always seems to cost me more with products from Europe than Asia

Cancel it. See if he has shipped it already. The guy is quite reasonable

Might have to add this to the building guide if they want handoff.

I'm assuming the Continuity Activation Tool mentioned in this Mac Rumors post isn't going to help much? http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/23/continuity-activation-tool/

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool/

I have that TP-Link card, as recommended on the Build Guide, but the tool seem to unable to verify the AirPort drivers, as the TP-Link card is using Atheros.

I guess that Broadcom PCI card is the only legit solution?
http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...uetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh-16

make sure you pay with paypal and have ebay buyer protection and you are fine. Some of the sellers on ebay are selling BCM94360CD cards that have broadcom as a vendor and not apple, and that alone disables handoff even though it's same part number. basically, a BCM94360CD pulled from a non apple machine (such as an HP or dell). When you set it up first thing you should check is if it says "handoff yes" and vendor is Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back