Intel i3 4360
Graphics
PNY Nvidia GT 640 1 GB Ram
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I just finished building my first customac. The yosemite installation went smoothly and I chose the DSDT Free multibeast set up. The first time I booted without a thumb drive, I logged on and everything worked fine for about 2 minutes then it froze. I turned it off and then turned it back on. I lasted about the same time before freezing again. The next time I rebooted I went for 30 minutes with no freeze then i shut down the computer, came back to it and had another successful session with no freezes. I thought that it fixed itself until it froze directly after or before log in about 10 times straight. Now I'm back to it working. I thought that it might be VT-d being enabled, but in the BIOS it is grayed out and won't let me disable it. I also tried disabling Intel smart virtualization but that didn't do anything. Another performance issue i noticed was that adobe flash and the game league of legends were having a hard time downloading. Does anyone have an idea of a possible cause? Thanks for the help!
My build is:
Intel i3 4360
PNY GT640
one 8 gb ram stick
Gigabyte ga z87mx d3h Motherboard
120 GB samsung ssd

UPDATE:
The difficulties downloading adobe flash and lol were because my tp link wdn4800 was constantly dropping wifi. I since solved that issue by making a static IP address, and I am no longer having problems.:D

It was grayed out as enabled, does that mean it is disabled then, if it doesn't support it? Sorry, I'm new to hackintosh and building computers and many of these things I don't totally know what they do.

I don't think so, I didn't know nvidia made drivers for Mac, could you include a link to the drivers? I'm using which ever drivers are used by default, I haven't downloaded any new ones, thanks for the help.

I don't think so, I didn't know nvidia made drivers for Mac, could you include a link to the drivers? I'm using which ever drivers are used by default, I haven't downloaded any new ones, thanks for the help.

OS X has NVIDIA drivers so that your GPU will work. I would suggest that you do not use the latest NVIDIA drivers unless using the new 'Maxwell' cards or if having problems with your GT640. Treat as experimental. Read the description carefully.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-10-1-343-01-02-a.html

Thanks so much for the help! I will try downloading and installing the drivers and see if that helps make it more stable. Am I correct in assuming that any issue where the computer is freezing means it's a graphics issue?

Thanks so much for the help! I will try downloading and installing the drivers and see if that helps make it more stable. Am I correct in assuming that any issue where the computer is freezing means it's a graphics issue?

RAM can also be a cause of freezing. Computer power supplies that are not 'Haswell compatible' can also cause this issue. Some people experience freezing when connecting a USB device to the computer. Computer freezing is not likely to be down to a GT640 GPU as they have been very well supported since around 10.8.3

Edit - just checked it looks like this motherboard is well known for freezing:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/search.php?googleSearch=ga z87mx d3h freeze

Best read up on some of these threads and see if there is a cure that works for most users. Updating the UEFI/BIOS may help if you are not on the latest version. I would spend some time reading threads first though.

Thanks, I will read those threads. Is it possible that running off of one 8 gb stick of ram rather 2x4gb sticks could be an issue? Also, I have the latest version of bios, f7, because I had to update it for compatibility with my i3, which is a haswell e series is only compatible with f6 and above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back