Contribute
Register

Yosemite EVGA NVIDIA GTX970 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GigabyteZ97X-UD5H Motherboard (Bios 797X-UD5H F9)
CPU
Intel 4790
Graphics
Nvidia GTX970 (EVGA)
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey All.
Been lurking quite some time and finally decided to go ahead with my first build so
I finally joined the forums as well.

Here is my build:

GigabyteZ97X-UD5H Motherboard (Bios 797X-UD5H F8)
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
Samsung EVO SSD 1TB (For Mac Yosemite)
Samsung EVO SSD 500 GB (For Windows 7)
Western Digital HDD 3TB (For Storage)
32GB Crucial Ballastix Ram
(EVGA) Nvidia GeoForce GTX970 4GB Graphics Card
TP-Link N900 PCI Wireless (TL-WDN4800)
Asus 12x Blu-Ray Writer (BW-12B1ST)

Built in a :
Corsair Carbide 500R Tower

Running to a:
Acer WQHD LED 27 Monitor

This was meant to be a truly integrated Work(Mac ) and (Play Station)

After the initial build all went well and I decided to build the Mac Side first folloing close instructions with regards to motherboard settings, USB Stilc Build and HD Prep.
On advice, that I think I may have read somewhere here, I built the Mac OS utilizing
The built-in onboard(chip) video of the intel Processor hooked into my monitor via HDMI. Worked like a charm. No probs booting, re-booting, peripherals, wi-fi, worked like a natural mac system. (Not sure about he sound as I had not hooked up speakers yet)

Then hooked up my soon-to-be windows SSD, installed, no problems booted right up and I was in business.
Then hooked up some speakers and went to install the drivers for my graphics card and realized it was not being recognized due to a loose power cable.
Fixed that and everything worked as good or better, than advertised.
So now my system was running from the Graphics Card HDMI port as opposed
To the On Board HDMI.

This is where the problems begin.
At first, my system ONLY wanted to boot back into Windows, but that was an easy fix, by doing the old f12 and figured there would be a pre-loader I could install to solve that.

BUT when I tried to boot back into Yosemite, I could never get past the initial load in screen. It would hang halfway through. After doing some research here, I started using the different bootloaders to inch further and further up the status bar.
(GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=1, the maxmems, and others)

I double, triple, checked my bios, even did a bios re-set, and tried many different variations. (Until I realized that I could be past of the problem, so I did one final re-set and set it back up exactly as recommended per instructions)

I was getting what I assumed to be USB errors, So I moved the USB Stick to every USB 2 port I had and even brought in an OLD USB hub to try from it as well.
(I even tried burning the Install software to a DVD with the same results-Hung up halfway through loading)

(I guess I should mention that the only other USB devices hooked in were an old Logitech Gaming Keyboard and Mouse)

After many hours and different attempts I finally stumbled upon the “nv_disable=1”
Bootloader and was finally able to get the USB stick to load into the OS install screen.

Using probably faulty logic I assumed it was the video card being the problem as it was not “seen” during the first install so I re-installed Yosemite to my SSD.

I should mention at this point that I was using “barely there” video that was somehow coming through the Nvidia Card. (What looked like 640x480 res with excessive screen tearing)

But it DID finally install and did finally boot into Yosemite, although at a very
Unacceptable fashion. I even downloaded and installed the most recent nvida drivers for the mac and installed them within the mac environment.
The system sees the Video card,

(Still having to use the nv_disable=1 to even get there)

So. None of that worked.
So I went back to the beginning and thought that since it did NOT see my Vid Card as hardware on the IINTIAL install I would go back there.
So I re-enabled the onboard graphics, and started form scratch again.
Again, without the Vid Card in play, everything works like a charm.
(And I have tried swapping the Cords, DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort)

Rebuilt the Windows drive and all is well there.

Upon reattaching the Yosemite Drive and re-booting I could not reach boot-up
Without “nv-disable=1” but I did get there and found the graphics to be totally unuseable.
My graphics chip is being reported as follows:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Chip Model
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x13c2
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: preset 1.0.0
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

I have tried installing the online nvidia driver:
Version: 7.0.36
Release Date: 2015.04.09
Operating System: Mac OS
Language: English (U.S.)
File Size: 30.4 MB

This installed fine but seemed to have no effect.
My most recent attempt had me back in multibeast where I have enabled the intel graphics and now I am kind of locked out of the system once again.

For some reason I fear that I am missing something simple.
But for the time being any attempt to either load or install the Mac OS with the nvidia gard is being met with absolute failure.

Since it is on the “approved” list I cant’ help but think there is something basic I am doing wrong here.
Any help will be appreciated.
Hopefully this will be my primary work station from home.
And it has thus far eaten up my 3 day weekend completely.

And sorry this post is so long. After lurking the most common response I see here is "not enough info"
I hope I have not gone overboard.

Thanks in advance.
WRC

After many hours and different attempts I finally stumbled upon the “nv_disable=1”
Bootloader and was finally able to get the USB stick to load into the OS install screen.

Using probably faulty logic I assumed it was the video card being the problem as it was not “seen” during the first install so I re-installed Yosemite to my SSD.

I should mention at this point that I was using “barely there” video that was somehow coming through the Nvidia Card. (What looked like 640x480 res with excessive screen tearing)

Install the OS X with the flag "nv_disable=1".

Once you completed the installation, download and install the proper version of NVIDIA Web Driver for your running OS X version.

Once it is installed boot with flag "nvda_drv=1" instead of "nv_disable=1"

If the booting stuck again, then boot with "dart=0 IGPEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=No nvda_drv=1 -f -v"

If the booting stuck with messages on screen, then post a clear photo of the entire frozen screen.

Thanks for the response. I have tried the nvda_drv=1 suggestion. (I actually reserched more after my initial post) I will try your suggestion right now.

Thanks again.
WRC

Tried twice with no luck. 2 Screenshots attached.
I appreciate you taking your time. I am VERY new at this.
1stAttempt.JPG2ndAttempt.JPG

Attachments

• 2ndAttempt(Rotate).jpg
    2ndAttempt(Rotate).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 76
Tried twice with no luck. 2 Screenshots attached.
I appreciate you taking your time. I am VERY new at this.
View attachment 138748

Your installation/booting stuck with deadbeef error. Use the flag "-no-zp"

Note:- There is no space required in between the -no and -zp

This is due to the System Definition change. Why you had change it to MacPro 5,1 ??

For now, boot in safe mode or boot with your USB, then delete the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/

Until getting a perfect bootable system stay with MacPro 3,1. Then choose the correct definition from here : http://www.everymac.com

Note:- You are entering the bootlegs in wrong way. Type the flags as it is mentioned on the post#2

Yep. Sorry.
I did not read your post correctly.
I need to re-install the system with the flag.
Not much I can do about it tonight though as it is almost midnight here and work starts again tomorrow.

(I have been trying your solutions on the current install)

As for why I was using 5.1, I had tried SO many different things before posting here and 5.1 was the only Mac System that correctly identified the video card for what it actually was.

So I will go back to square one tomorrow evening.
(I also did a fresh windows drive and I have been stuck waiting for it to install updates after my last attempt. I was using the windows drive to read and post)

Anyway. If you could check back in from time to time I would appreciate it, but I understand that you probably have better things to do as well.

Maybe tomorrow will be the key.
I never realized that this would be so difficult.
From all the reading I did, it seemed like a normally proficient human being could handle it.
:)

Time will tell and thanks again.

WRC

AND. I'm assuming you mean by "Install with nv_disable=1" you mean to type that when I am loading the boot USB, correct?
(I actually can't open the boot USB without that flag, it exhibits the same "problem" as the actual computer)

WRC

I need to re-install the system with the flag.

No need to reinstall now. For avoiding panic just delete the kext mentioned above.

As for why I was using 5.1, I had tried SO many different things before posting here and 5.1 was the only Mac System that correctly identified the video card for what it actually was.

Using Mac Pro 5,1 is not a problem. But before changing it to 5,1 you have to make the system bootable without any issue. However no problem now, just boot in safe mode or boot with your USB, then delete the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ for avoiding the Kernel Panic due to the definition change.

AND. I'm assuming you mean by "Install with nv_disable=1" you mean to type that when I am loading the boot USB, correct?
(I actually can't open the boot USB without that flag, it exhibits the same "problem" as the actual computer)

Yes. You have to type the flag while booting from USB along with another flags which you are using.

The GTX970 does not have native driver support from the Yosemite. So we have to install without the driver support (by using flag nv_disable=1) and then have to install NVIDIA's Web Driver for enabling graphics card support on OS X.

Okay.
After going back and re-installing as stated, I rebooted with the
nv_disable=1
tag. This froze.
I re-booted using the
dart=0 IGPEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=No nvda_drv=1 -f -v
sequence.

Since I did not get the deadbeef error I shot and am posting this:
ScreenShot3.jpg

It loos different enough to possibly give better clues.
WRC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back