Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Yosemite -> El Capitan installer crashes on an ASUS P5Q Pro

Hi,

I was running Yosemite with Chimera on that mobo and thought I would try to upgrade. I did as the Clover switching guide says, so I tested the bootup process with a prepared El Capitano USB and my Yosemite system just booted fine. After that I removed the /Extra directory and the 3rd party kexts. The next thing would have been to boot the El Capitan installer from the USB but I stuck here. I have attached a screenshot (sorry for the poor quality) showing the kernel panic I am getting during the bootup. I have tried with "nv_disable=1" boot flag, but to no avail.
May I ask for your guidance? I tried to look up this issue but couldn't find anything. As a last mesure I booted up the recovery partition, moved back the deleted kexts, but the boot stops halfway and a question mark appears in place of the Apple logo so I assume my Yosemite installation is borken too. Anyway, my main concern now is why the El Capitan bootup crashes.

Kind regards,
Mate

Attachments

• IMG_20151002_235554 copy.jpg
    IMG_20151002_235554 copy.jpg
    917.4 KB · Views: 719
Please put your specific motherboard model in the motherboard field of the system information that shows up on the left, and/or your signature. It's really hard to give good advice without knowing that.

Thanks for the tip! I have updated my profile information. :)

Out of about 30 boots I was able to get to the greeting screen of the installer once. I didn't do anything specific, so I don't know how it happened. I was trying with different BIOS settings, boot flags (cpus, PCIRoot, PCIRootUID), but I wasn't able to repeat it again.
As far as the stack trace goes during the boot it is always related to the AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext. I checked the USB related topics but nothing mentioned similar to my problem.
The installed Yosemite still not able to boot, even if I copy back the chimera related kexts and the Extra folder. Only the recovery partition is working, so I am kinda stuck. I am wondering if I reinstalled Yosemite from the recovery partition would it make working again?

UPDATE: I was able to boot Yosemite using the -f flag. :)

Hi,but you have done the update or a new installation?

I haven't done either. The El Capitan installer bootup failed with the error I described earlier. But I would have wanted to do an upgrade.

The only advice I've seen on that one, and nobody has confirmed it yet, is to backup and remove that kext, rebuild caches, and try again. Let me know if it works.

I am sorry for the noob question, but how can I delete a kext from the USB stick which has the El Capitan installer on it? Or do I have to delete the kext from my installed system then try to boot the installer from the stick?

Also if I remove the AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext from the usb installer, when I boot it continue to give me the same panic error. What I have to do? I've also removed the IOUSBHostFamily.kext that is the extensions where is contained the AppleUSBUHCIPCI.kext inside the Plugins folder.

You can hit spacebar at the Clover menu and select Boot Mac OS X without caches and see if that helps. I'm reluctant to have you delete too much (at least, without backups), but I guess you can always recreate the installer if it gets messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back