Contribute
Register

Yosemite and Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H. Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
was GTX 970 is now Radeon RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey there,

first post on my journey to my Hackintosh and expecting parts to be delivered next week.
I was wondering about the motherboard and CPU I choose...

Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
Intel Core i7 4790 4x 3.60GHz So.1150

I read somewhere that Yosemite expects the motherboard and CPU to be overclockable and by using a non overclockable CPU it would always run at the base speed and won't cycle down. I can't remember the according thread though. :confused:

Is this correct? Would I have to get a Z97 chipset board and a 4790k CPU to get a fully working Hackintosh or will a H97 and non 'k' CPU work correctly as well?

I think (hope) I have the possibility to change my order...

Thanks!

Hey there,

first post on my journey to my Hackintosh and expecting parts to be delivered next week.
I was wondering about the motherboard and CPU I choose...

Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
Intel Core i7 4790 4x 3.60GHz So.1150

I read somewhere that Yosemite expects the motherboard and CPU to be overclockable and by using a non overclockable CPU it would always run at the base speed and won't cycle down. I can't remember the according thread though. :confused:

Is this correct? Would I have to get a Z97 chipset board and a 4790k CPU to get a fully working Hackintosh or will a H97 and non 'k' CPU work correctly as well?

I think (hope) I have the possibility to change my order...

Thanks!

What you read is inaccurate. Whether or not the CPU is overclockable has nothing at all to do with whether or not SpeedStep will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back