Graphics
nv
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, i've yosemite installed, the bootloader is clover,its been running nice and I don't want to loose this setup.
Iis there any catch to watch for before installing windows 7 for dual boot?
I'd like to have it for GTA V. (and perhaps other games that are windows exclusive)
I've a separate HDD for the new OS.

Thank you in advance,

R.

Hey guys, i've yosemite installed, the bootloader is clover,its been running nice and I don't want to loose this setup.
I'd like to have it for GTA V. (and perhaps other games that are windows exclusive)

Thank you in advance,

R.

yes unplug your OSX hd when installing windows because windows won't install when plugged in to your system. Other than changing your boot option in your bios when installing, its a straight forward windows install. Just make sure you switch back to clover as main boot option when you plug it back in.

good luck
Ricky

Thank you in advance,

R.

Did you install Clover UEFI or legacy mode? If UEFI, make sure you install Windows in UEFI mode so Clover can boot it.

I'm pretty sure its UEFI, but how do I check it? Furthermore, how do I install windows in UEFI mode?

I'm pretty sure its UEFI, but how do I check it? Furthermore, how do I install windows in UEFI mode?

Mount the EFI partition of your OS X boot drive. If there is an EFI folder in the partition with Clover in it, chances are you installed it EFI. The easiest way to prep your Windows drive for UEFI install is to format it with OS X disk utility as if you were going to install OS X on it.

To install Windows UEFI, boot with your Windows install media inserted and hit the Function hotkey that allows you to select a boot drive. You should see your install media listed twice, once with UEFI in front of it and once with Px in front of it where x = a number.

Select the UEFI installer and hit enter. At the Windows install screen when it asks what partition you want to install on, select the OS X partition, select delete, then select create new simple volume, format it NTFS and install.

Thank you, sadly I had no time to install it until now.
I've done almost everything according how You described, but when I added the windows DVD I couldnt find the uefi mode, just "DVD".
I dont know if this is the problem but after the first launch of windows (which was a success) I decided to plug the other HDD-s back and got onto osx to download some drivers for windows. Unfortunately after this, windows wouldnt launch. Perhaps something is messed up in clover as it pretty much notices it but when I hover-over the windows icon I dont see any line like "boot windows from xy HDD", just a windows box without any further stuff. And it would not start. it stucks on a blinking " _ " console-screen

any ideas please?

Thank you, sadly I had no time to install it until now.
I've done almost everything according how You described, but when I added the windows DVD I couldnt find the uefi mode, just "DVD".
I dont know if this is the problem but after the first launch of windows (which was a success) I decided to plug the other HDD-s back and got onto osx to download some drivers for windows. Unfortunately after this, windows wouldnt launch. Perhaps something is messed up in clover as it pretty much notices it but when I hover-over the windows icon I dont see any line like "boot windows from xy HDD", just a windows box without any further stuff. And it would not start. it stucks on a blinking " _ " console-screen

any ideas please?

boot OS X, launch Terminal, type

diskutil list

hit enter. command+shift+4 then put pointer over the Terminal window, hit spacebar, then enter.
Post resulting screenshot

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 20.02.23.png

From the looks of this you installed Windows in Legacy mode. You need to re-install it UEFI.
Try formatting the Windows drive as if you were installing OS X using Disk Utility. Make sure UEFI booting is enabled.

Thanks, it is installed now. However, clover sees 3 instance of windows, out of which 2 is non-functional, and 1 is "start windows efi bootloader" which boots windows 7.

How do I get rid of the non-functioning icons of windows in clover? I apologise if this isnt the right place for this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back