Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So its my first post here and would like to say hello to all, nice to have some like-minded people around, all my friends think I am mad!

Anyway, I have purchased a G5 case and am about to start a project to mod it so my pc internals can fit inside, not sure whether or not I can get a hackintosh running on them.

Pics will follow tomorrow when I start, but I am posting now to see if anyone cuold help me with an idea for the PSU.

Ideally I would like to get my psu inside the old G5 psu case but am not confident of which wires to solder back where, if anyone has done this - are the two different psu's wires colour coded the same to the kettle plug?

Failing this I guess it will be a top mount, with a kettle extension lead to the rear port hole.

I will be basing it around one of these: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2012.html

Main aims are to keep it as clean as possible, this being a fist actual case mod for me, although I have built a large amount of computers from scratch.

Any help would be appreciated!

Only pic so far is from the ebay seller, looks like its in pretty good nick, especially for £40!
lpHtm.jpg

hi there!

that case looks fresh.

eelhead did what you are talking about with the psu
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16300

i have avoided putting the psu in the original psu case, as it means that youve gotta raise the tray higher, in the way of the stock hdd location. youve also gotta cut the plate at the top.

the way ive done/doing it (im almost finished my case) is by removing the original psu, have the tray lower down, mount the psu on the bottom of the case floor towards the front of the case, and run a kettle extension from the psu to the iec ive mounted on the tray.

this way i can keep the original hdd location, not have to cut the top plate, and have the mobo tray lower.

Thanks for the link, I would be interested to see how yours comes along.

From what I can see, the PSU seems to be the most difficult part of this mod - touch wood!

I'm getting my dad to give me a hand, he is pretty handy so I'm sure between the two of us we can work something out!

HELP!!

Stuck trying to get the top fan assembly and shelf out, have hit a major stumbling block, can anyone describe how to do it? Or is there a guide?

Any help massively appreciated!!

did it today on mine coincidentally.
its not that hard, but i couldnt find a guide with pics to help me, so i read it up and just went for it.

there are 5 torx head screws holding the shelf to the case. unscrew them.

then, you see the 3 tab things that move left and right when you use the door opener?
on the opposite side of those tabs (need to turn the case upside down to see properly), youll find a small black strip holding each of the tabs in. remove them, and the tabs will easily pull out.

on the greyish long strip which the tabs where attached to, youll about 5 allen head cap nuts. remove them. youll then be able to pull that grey strip away from the shelf. i didnt fully remove the grey strip, i just let it swing free while still attached to the door opener

then on the tray, youll find 3 black philips head screws, which hold the bottom hard drive cage to the tray. remove them.

after that, youll be able to pull out the shelf.
removing the fans is a piece of ****, just 2 screws.

Thanks for the reply!

It was the little black clips that were foiling me!

I managed to get it off and mount the psu up there, cut a whole for the fan and cut the back out, next I need to glue the stand offs for the mobo tray in the right place and it should be pretty much plain sailing from there... (I hope!)

23v4j.jpg

Poor quality phone pics are all I have right now :(

After a bit of a hiatus I have managed to get back on with it, nearly finished now - I just need to mount the hard drive tray underneath the bluray drive at the top. Awaiting double sided tape :D Excuse the mess in the case, its a work in progress...

s4oiF.jpg

b33GL.jpg

Y9PPG.jpg

HdMak.jpg

X7FvI.jpg

Jayster said:
What size torx screws did you use to get the panel off of where it attaches to the back?

Jayster

The upper panel?

There's no torx screws it's fixed in just under the slider that locks the case, turn it upside down and you'll see it, there are a few clips behind the 3 metal latches take those off, pop the latches out then the plastic slider bit becomes loose. The rest of the tray then slides and detaches.

This had me stumped for a good hour.

I used a tx 8 at some stage to take the fan housing off I think, but that was back in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back