Contribute
Register

Yet Another Black Screen Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the suggestion BigMacPro.

I tried it but it had no effect.

Is there some additional steps I might have missed like registering the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file after editing it in Textedit,....?

If I recall correctly, some time ago I tried lowering the resolution to see if booting at 1920x1080x32 would help but I don't recall how that went. I guess I could test by adding the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>

replacing your native resolution suggestion.

Here is what the whole thing looks like now though just for reference:

<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2560x1440x32</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I just bought a samsung S27A950 monitor and am having the same problem. After the white apple loading screen it goes black and the buttons on my monitor dull slightly, then none of them will work. I have to pull the power plug and then reconnect and then everything works normally. Sleeps and wakes fine, the issue is only at startup. Funny thing is though that I don't think I had the problem with my old 24" Benq monitor and the same setup. I will have to test to make sure.
If I use HDMI it starts up fine but it doesn't wake from sleep, the computer still is working but the monitor gets no signal after it wakes, disconnecting the power from the monitor makes no difference here.

Thanks for the input.

I see that you are also using an older nVidia video card as well. The Samsung S27A950 is a 2560x1440 monitor I trust? It looks like a pattern,...

My nVidia video cards 9500GT / 8800GTS don't have HDMI ports so I can't really try that. I did use a DVI to HDMI adaptor with an HDMI cable but that had no effect on the problem. Also I don't know how well HDMI can handle 2560x1440.

Since this didn't happen using the same hardware in OS X 10.7.x and only started in OS X 10.8.0 Mountain Lion, perhaps it's an issue with a new nVidia driver for these cards. I say this, in part, because it doesn't seem to happen on OS X 10.8.0 systems using AMD / ATI video cards when using the same Auria EQ276W monitor.

Perhaps there is a difference With the OS X Lion nVidia kext and the Mountain Lion nVidia kext,.......?

Really I have no clue I'm just grabbing at straws now,....

Just checked, so the Samsung S27A950 is a 3D 1920x1080 monitor it seems.

In your case I would suggest trying the addition of your BenQ 24" monitor in mirror mode to see if it will get past the blank screen issue at boot.

That worked! I had to use Kextbeast after I removed the kext but it starts up correctly now. THANKS!

Thanks for the suggestion layt,.....

I can't try this yet since I'm out of town but as soon as I get back I'll give it a go. I suspect this is indeed the solution to the problem as I am sure fakesmc was installed. It also explains in part why systems with AMD / ATI video cards wouldn't have this issue.

I'll post back with my results when I get a chance to try this.

Just to be clear the process is to manually delete "NVClockX.kext" then repair permissions. Did you just run MultiBeast to repair permissions (without adjusting any other settings)?

I believe I have found the solution, check out my thread here and let me know if it worked- http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...stead-login-requires-power-cycle-display.html
Anyways I'll bet you've installed fakesmc plugins, look for system/library/extensions/ "NVClockX.kext" delete this kext repair permissions and you should be all sorted!

Finally got a chance to try this on the system in question and I am happy to say it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the fix layt,.....!!!

I believe I have found the solution, check out my thread here and let me know if it worked- http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...stead-login-requires-power-cycle-display.html
Anyways I'll bet you've installed fakesmc plugins, look for system/library/extensions/ "NVClockX.kext" delete this kext repair permissions and you should be all sorted!

Thank you so much for posting this. I just got this monitor and using your instructions fixed my black screen issue. WOO HOO!!!

I need to rebuild my ML install on a real HDD because some folks say my Agility 3 doesn't like ML. And - I may have corrupted it messing with it.
After that I can try the deletion fix.
Recall I don't have an nVidia card. mine is AMD msi r5770. I hope the fix will work for me too. I'll post results.
Glad to see folks are still looking for black screen fixes.

OBW: In my first attempt I DID get to the step where I could run Multibeast. I got black screen then.
My attempt to fix it was a re-install. That one and all subsequent installs never got to multibeast step before the Black Screen of Death [BSOD] got me. Windows isn't the only OS with a screen of death<grin>.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back