CPU
7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630 - GTX 1050
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi. I've been trying to install macOS on my Dell XPS 15 9560 (7700hq, 1050, 16GB, 512GB, FHD, 97Wh) for some time now, and I always encounter the same issue: my UEFI boot drive is not detected, no matter how it was created. I've tried with Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave; I've tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 peripherals; I've tried different ports; I've followed different boot drive creation guides; I've reset the BIOS to factory settings; I've updated the BIOS to the version used in each guide I've tried to follow. But that computer just doesn't want to detect a hackintosh boot drive; it works fine with Linux UEFI drives though. And the worst thing is, I can use these drives with other computers, both laptops and desktops. So, I'm quite certain the issue is with the computer itself, but I can't seem to find it. Any help is welcome.

EDIT: I should have mentioned, the drives show up as legacy devices if I enable the option, but of course nothing happens if I try to boot from them, as they are indeed UEFI devices. They show up as UEFI on other systems.

Last edited:
Hi. I've been trying to install macOS on my Dell XPS 15 9560 (7700hq, 1050, 16GB, 512GB, FHD, 97Wh) for some time now, and I always encounter the same issue: my UEFI boot drive is not detected, no matter how it was created. I've tried with Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave; I've tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 peripherals; I've tried different ports; I've followed different boot drive creation guides; I've reset the BIOS to factory settings; I've updated the BIOS to the version used in each guide I've tried to follow. But that computer just doesn't want to detect a hackintosh boot drive; it works fine with Linux UEFI drives though. And the worst thing is, I can use these drives with other computers, both laptops and desktops. So, I'm quite certain the issue is with the computer itself, but I can't seem to find it. Any help is welcome.

EDIT: I should have mentioned, the drives show up as legacy devices if I enable the option, but of course nothing happens if I try to boot from them, as they are indeed UEFI devices. They show up as UEFI on other systems.

Perhaps you didn't disable secure boot.

I did, every single guide mentioned it. But I've actually just found a solution after months of head scratching, so I'll leave it here in case someone has the same problem: the boot option had to be created manually, and if memory serves, it didn't work properly on earlier BIOS versions. Everything is fine with the latest one.

try the following steps. It worked for me, when my mac Os partition on my ssd wasn't found. But i can't ensure, that it would work with thumb drives as well

go to bios -> boot sequence
in boot list option click on add boot option
choose a boot option name, for example ''Mac''
and under file name choose \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi
it should hopefully show up as a boot option, when you spam F12 while booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back