Contribute
Register

XPS 9550 OSX 10.11.4 full supported ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using an invalid FakeID is a good way to disable the graphics drivers before you have everything setup as required. If you have UHD, for example, you would use it before you patch IOKit (since the drivers won't work on UHD until it is patched). But eventually, you have to remove it and inject a valid ig-platform-id.

Bottom line: No expectation of QE/CI when you're disabling the graphics drivers.

Thanks for the explanation. Getting a hack Laptop to work is much harder than my Desktop.

I thought with the FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_SKL_Graphix.kext by DoiX (loaded via clover) combined with the DVMT-prealloc fix in the config.plist would take care of that. So bottom of that: How to patch the IOkit?

I think I followed that, with manually decompiling the Clover extracted (F4) origin files and opening them in your version of MacIASL. I then add your repo and add the "backlight fix" - while saving it as an ACPI aml the compile errors occur.

Patching IOKit is covered in the FAQ. You must resolve all errors prior to applying any functional patches. Make sure you use refs.txt per guide.

Patching IOKit is covered in the FAQ. You must resolve all errors prior to applying any functional patches. Make sure you use refs.txt per guide.

I ran the script from the the-darvkvoid XPS 9350 repo:

Code:
IOKit]: Patching IOKit for maximum pixel clock

[IOKit]: Current IOKit md5 is 50fef4db03f5680e83c6bbb969e3e85e

--> El Capitan 10.11.4 IOKit (unpatched)

Password:

/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit: replacing existing signature

Patched

After that, I removed 'Inject Intel' per instruction and after half of the loading bar while booting, it turns black.

Maybe this is above me and I should wait for a complete guide. Sorry if I may appear stupid here

Edit: After re-reading your "refs.txt" hint and decompiling with the option
Code:
 iasl -da -dl -fe refs.txt *.aml
the backlight fix worked and now QE/CI is working. Just not brightness buttons yet.
5Ghz is working as well (but through edits of kexts, which is not future proof and so elegant) and Audio of course is also not working

Last edited:
please read the prior pages of this post .
I had patached the dsdt and got backlight Fn keys work already.

I ran the script from the the-darvkvoid XPS 9350 repo:

Code:
IOKit]: Patching IOKit for maximum pixel clock

[IOKit]: Current IOKit md5 is 50fef4db03f5680e83c6bbb969e3e85e

--> El Capitan 10.11.4 IOKit (unpatched)

Password:

/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current/IOKit: replacing existing signature

Patched

After that, I removed 'Inject Intel' per instruction and after half of the loading bar while booting, it turns black.

Maybe this is above me and I should wait for a complete guide. Sorry if I may appear stupid here

Edit: After re-reading your "refs.txt" hint and decompiling with the option
Code:
 iasl -da -dl -fe refs.txt *.aml
the backlight fix worked and now QE/CI is working. Just not brightness buttons yet.
5Ghz is working as well (but through edits of kexts, which is not future proof and so elegant) and Audio of course is also not working

Sounds like you forgot CodecCommander.kext.
sorry for missing info.
I already install codescommander.text in
S/L/E directory , rebuild kext caches and reboot, but internal speaker still no sound.

sorry for missing info.
I already install codescommander.text in
S/L/E directory , rebuild kext caches and reboot, but internal speaker still no sound.

What do you see in SysPrefs->Sound? Did you patch ACPI correctly for the patched AppleHDA? Is the patched AppleHDA an exact match for your audio codec? Did you patch for "IRQ Fix"? Did you rename HDAS to HDEF?

Every free minute I have I spend on making this Dell work like a Mac. And Laptops have more quirks.

Today I took it along for a Business trip. At home, I tested closing the lid and Apple Menu based sleep to see if the system really would sleep. According to
Code:
pmset -g log | grep -2 sleep
the system does sleep as intended.
But now, on the Business trip, the Dell woke up in my Suitcase and it was hot when i took it out. The battery stats told me it was at 62% battery when I turned it off. But now, four hours later, turned off on battery, the stats tell me the battery was down to 3%. It's weird. Like it turned itself on again, or the stats were way off.

The output of
Code:
pmset -g log | grep -2 sleep
is attached.

A short summary of my 9550 XPS 15'' status:
  • QI/CE - ok
  • Sleep with lid closed - seems ok
  • Sleep on Apple menu command - seems ok
  • Fn keys, Brightness keys - not ok
  • Trackpad via Smart Touch 4.6 kext - pretty great, but no palm rejection yet
  • Audio - not tried yet
  • Shutdown - leads to restart
  • Restart - works as intended
  • Fans - Always running, even though power demand is low (see screenshot)
  • Bluetooth - nope, but not worked on yet

I have a guess that constantly running fans could be because of two reasons:
a) The threshold is set low at just above 40°C - I'm not aware of a tool to adjust the fancurve on Skylake on mac
b) The Nvidia GPU is consuming power and triggering the BIOS fan control, which I can't alter - turning off the internal Nvidia GPU might me a good try

I've tried "Rename GFX0 to IGPU" but then my Hack won't boot, a Kernel panic is the result of patching the DSDT.dsl this way. The complete archive (Archive.zip) as usually asked by @RehabMan is attached

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 01.21.30.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 01.21.30.png
    256 KB · Views: 138
  • wake.txt
    85.4 KB · Views: 182
I have a guess that constantly running fans could be because of two reasons:
a) The threshold is set low at just above 40°C - I'm not aware of a tool to adjust the fancurve on Skylake on mac
b) The Nvidia GPU is consuming power and triggering the BIOS fan control, which I can't alter - turning off the internal Nvidia GPU might me a good try

I've tried "Rename GFX0 to IGPU" but then my Hack won't boot, a Kernel panic is the result of patching the DSDT.dsl this way. The complete archive (Archive.zip) as usually asked by @RehabMan is attached

As far as ACPI patching, see guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Today I took it along for a Business trip.
NO NO NO NO NO! Seriously though you really shouldn't take a work in progress hackintosh and use it for your work unless you have another OS i.e. Windows 10 or Linux on hand. In terms of you saying it has been successfully sleeping it doesn't seem to have the correct power management setup yet as if power management was set up correctly the laptop would not be hot when you take it out. You will need to do DSDT and SSDT patches for power management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back