Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9560
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630, 4K
Problem 1: I have a Dell XPS 13 9343 running 10.12.* for quite some time without much problem. Yesterday when the headphone did not work I thought I would reboot to see if it works. But after choosing to boot from HDD's OSX partition, screen only showed 3 lines like

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and then it restart with the Dell splash screen. Tried many times, the same behavior.

I get into EFIShell and examined the EFI partition. All files, except config.list, show several months old time stamp. I tried to restore to an old config.list known to work, still the same behavior. I also ran a Dell diagnosis and it shows everything is OK. I guess the EFI partition is somehow corrupted.

Problem 2: Then I tried the USB installer which was used for the installation (except that Clover was updated to a newer version, which I verified to work after updating). Booting the OSX Install caused many "Process crashed" and "disk2s1: 0x3e8 (UNDEFINED)" message but could not proceed to OS X installer screen; booting the HDD partition caused "waiting for the root device...." messages.

Problem 3: I then tried the USB installer which is working on a XPS 15 9560 with High Sierra. I can pick the option of booting from the USB installer, but the it just gets into a black screen without even reaching the Clover screen.

The laptop's BIOS version is A11 and there is a more recent A13 version on Dell's site.

Has any one had similar problem? Any tips? Must I upgrade BIOS? (I prefer not, afraid of introducing new problems)

I am more interested to solve problems 1 and 3), while I could not extract CLOVER folder out of a liked corrupted partition (there is only one boot for the laptop) for problem 1. For problem 3 I guess CLOVER folder does not matter as it did not even gets to Clover screen.

Problem 1: I have a Dell XPS 13 9343 running 10.12.* for quite some time without much problem. Yesterday when the headphone did not work I thought I would reboot to see if it works. But after choosing to boot from HDD's OSX partition, screen only showed 3 lines like

and then it restart with the Dell splash screen. Tried many times, the same behavior.

I get into EFIShell and examined the EFI partition. All files, except config.list, show several months old time stamp. I tried to restore to an old config.list known to work, still the same behavior. I also ran a Dell diagnosis and it shows everything is OK. I guess the EFI partition is somehow corrupted.

Problem 2: Then I tried the USB installer which was used for the installation (except that Clover was updated to a newer version, which I verified to work after updating). Booting the OSX Install caused many "Process crashed" and "disk2s1: 0x3e8 (UNDEFINED)" message but could not proceed to OS X installer screen; booting the HDD partition caused "waiting for the root device...." messages.

Problem 3: I then tried the USB installer which is working on a XPS 15 9560 with High Sierra. I can pick the option of booting from the USB installer, but the it just gets into a black screen without even reaching the Clover screen.

The laptop's BIOS version is A11 and there is a more recent A13 version on Dell's site.

Has any one had similar problem? Any tips? Must I upgrade BIOS? (I prefer not, afraid of introducing new problems)

I am more interested to solve problems 1 and 3), while I could not extract CLOVER folder out of a liked corrupted partition (there is only one boot for the laptop) for problem 1. For problem 3 I guess CLOVER folder does not matter as it did not even gets to Clover screen.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Could not boot into the system so cannot submit anything for Problem 1.

Will submit the USB's CLOVER folder later for problems 2 & 3.

Could not boot into the system so cannot submit anything for Problem 1.

As per FAQ, must attach EFI/Clover and verbose boot photo.

As I said, I could not boot into the system, so could not extract the CLOVER folder out. The boot screen before restart is attached.

Attachments

• p1_3lines.jpg
    p1_3lines.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 122

USB Installer's CLOVER folder is attached here.

Pic 1 is the trace when booting with OSX Installer. (somehow this time the error is CPU panic.

Pic 2 and 3 is the trace when booting with the HDD installation

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 98
  • p2_b_usb.jpg
    p2_b_usb.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 125
  • p2_hdd_1.jpg
    p2_hdd_1.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 116
  • p2_hdd_2.jpg
    p2_hdd_2.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 97

USB Installer's CLOVER folder is attached here. The screen is just black, never get into the CLOVER screen.

Attachments

• CLOVER2.zip
    4 MB · Views: 66
I did more experiments. I just reinstalled different versions of Clover onto the High Sierra USB installer. With 4035 I can get into the Clover screen to pick boot from USB installer or HDD. With both 4297 and 4318, after choose to boot from USB the laptop gets into a black screen, never get into the Clover screen to pick USB installer or HDD.

Same config.plist and kext drivers for all the Clover versions.

Rehabman: you are the Clover guru. Can you just give me a quick guess on what might be the problem, either the BIOS or the clover configuration. I want the USB with Clover 4297 or 4318 to boot into the Clover screen. If I cannot get Clover 4297 or 4318 to USB installer boot, I cannot even try to install High Sierra. Many thanks.

I did more experiments. I just reinstalled different versions of Clover onto the High Sierra USB installer. With 4035 I can get into the Clover screen to pick boot from USB installer or HDD. With both 4297 and 4318, after choose to boot from USB the laptop gets into a black screen, never get into the Clover screen to pick USB installer or HDD.

Same config.plist and kext drivers for all the Clover versions.

Rehabman: you are the Clover guru. Can you just give me a quick guess on what might be the problem, either the BIOS or the clover configuration. I want the USB with Clover 4297 or 4318 to boot into the Clover screen. If I cannot get Clover 4297 or 4318 to USB installer boot, I cannot even try to install High Sierra. Many thanks.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back