Contribute
Register

xmove rocks!! :-)

Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
119
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
First I checked with tony's blog for Lion install. However I did not follow it exactly. I've made an install partition on a pendrive using xmove instead of hard disk partition and after that performed clean install and not an update.

I used MacPro3,1 definitions to install, then rebooted to my snow install (productive system on a second partition) and removed AppleTyMCEDriver.kext. Switched to MacPro5,1 definitions and finalized the install. Worked like a charm.

Tested on Asus p5K Vanilla (Bios patched to AHCI) and on Asus P5P43TD Pro, both with GTX 470 installed. You can either use a plain pendrive for this procedure with something bootable like cd, dvd o second usb-pen with Chameleon, Chimera or whatsoever suits you, or just make a decent pendrive like this one described here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=165676 If you foolow this one the use xmove instead of 'ditto' for Lion.

I have one pendrive for Leo, one for Snow and one for Lion. With many different configurations and definitions.

Cheers

PS: if you give EFI hidden partition a go then you can't use 'diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/diskXs1' anymore on SnowLeo. The command is now something like that: 'newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1'. Check also: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... eleon.html
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2010
Messages
99
Motherboard
custom
CPU
i3-2100
Graphics
gt 240
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Awesome, can you provide a guide on how to do a clean install and not an upgrade from snow lepoard? I want to do one, but I am not sure how hard it is.
 
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
119
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Well there is nothing to guide. It should work also with Tony's guide http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html (I just don't like the idea of fooling with my partition table). So if you rebooted and went into Lion installer then use the disk utility to erase the target volume. After that close the disk utility and follow the install routine ;)

Btw, after reboot Lion stuck here on 'PCI Configuration begin' so I switched from MacPro3,1 to MacPro5,1 and after that it performed now like it suppose to. No need for npci=0x2000 or whatsoever.

If you make a usb pendrive with 'xmove' you can use it over and over and if you follow the guide I provided the link for then you can use it also with chameleon and all settings in /Extra on usbboot. In my case a decent dsdt.aml, fakesmc and the latest Chamelon RC5. :)

Cheers

PS: The clean install worked also on my macbook
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
9
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
xadmin said:
Awesome, can you provide a guide on how to do a clean install and not an upgrade from snow lepoard? I want to do one, but I am not sure how hard it is.

I wish I knew how to do this on my clean Asus P5G41T-M based system. I'm sat here with Lion purchased and downloaded, but I'm unsure on what to do next... I have another system running Snow Leopard, BTW.

If you figure out how to do a clean install, please let me know.
 
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
119
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Well it's easy:

1. Follow the guide: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html
2. Instead of creating a hard disk partition format a 8GB USB Key to HFS+ Journaled (GUID partition table)
3. Use xMove to copy LION Install files on to that USB Key.
4 Boot this USB Key with Chameleon which I suppose you already have somewhere.
5. While on Welcome Screen chose "Disk Utility" and use it to format the target partition of your hard drive. (The partition where you wanna install Lion)
6. After that close disk utility and follow the installation of Lion.

Cheers
 
Joined
Jan 25, 2011
Messages
737
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
X5650
Graphics
R9 290
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
aedon said:
Well it's easy:

1. Follow the guide: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html
2. Instead of creating a hard disk partition format a 8GB USB Key to HFS+ Journaled (GUID partition table)
3. Use xMove to copy LION Install files on to that USB Key.
4 Boot this USB Key with Chameleon which I suppose you already have somewhere.
5. While on Welcome Screen chose "Disk Utility" and use it to format the target partition of your hard drive. (The partition where you wanna install Lion)
6. After that close disk utility and follow the installation of Lion.

Cheers

Here's a few questions:

1. Do you know if xMove copies or moves the install to the new partition (or USB stick)? I ask, because I wonder if-- now that I've already created a HD install partition using xMove (following the normal guide) and installed Lion-- whether I can go back to my original drive where I downloaded Lion to and use xMove a second time to create a USB stick of the installer.

2. Alternatively, do you think it would be possible to simply take the Lion install partition I already have on one of my HDDs (made with xMove), and use Disk Utility to restore this partition to a USB pen drive?

3. Can you take the USB pen drive installer and apply multibeast (chimera) to it, as well as copy multibeast DSDT to a folder on it-- to make an installer that is bootable that can be used to install Lion for a fresh install in a machine that doesn't yet have Chimera.
 
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
119
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
2x RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
justruss said:
1. Do you know if xMove copies or moves the install to the new partition (or USB stick)? I ask, because I wonder if-- now that I've already created a HD install partition using xMove (following the normal guide) and installed Lion-- whether I can go back to my original drive where I downloaded Lion to and use xMove a second time to create a USB stick of the installer.

Yes you can use it. It's merely a "special" copy. Just check the script inside xMove ;)

justruss said:
2. Alternatively, do you think it would be possible to simply take the Lion install partition I already have on one of my HDDs (made with xMove), and use Disk Utility to restore this partition to a USB pen drive?

You could try 'ditto' or disk utility to restore. However I don't know if it will boot. Nevertheless xMove uses also only 'cp -pR' (as Apple castrated it) to copy files. So try it and let us know. :)

justruss said:
3. Can you take the USB pen drive installer and apply multibeast (chimera) to it, as well as copy multibeast DSDT to a folder on it-- to make an installer that is bootable that can be used to install Lion for a fresh install in a machine that doesn't yet have Chimera.

Yes you can. You need then 2 partitions on your USB Key 0.5 GB for Chameleon / Chimera including kext and dsdt in /Extra and one 7.5 GB for the install files. How to do it step by step is written here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=165676

Cheers

PS: You need proper dsdt.aml, which btw works flawless with 10.6.8, in order to succeed.
I use only fakesmc and I boot with the these flags:
Code:
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>arch=x86_64 -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes EthernetBuiltIn=Yes GeneratePStates=Yes GenerateCStates=Yes CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes</string>

For the install you might need MacPro3,1 definitions in smbios.plist. For the run you may use MacPro5,1, iMac12,1 or whatsoever you found of.
 
Top