Contribute
Register

XFX HD 5770 ZNFC Cards still Defunct in Lion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P67A-UD3-B3
CPU
i5 2500K (OC @ 4.5GHz)
Graphics
MSI GTX 660 TI P/E
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
These cards functioned perfect in 10.6.7, however 10.6.8 broke that. Anyone had the chance to test if they are re-supported in Lion? My gut tells me no, but there is no point in giving up yet.

I attempted to run the Lion installer, but I get the same problem we had with 10.6.8.. it never loads the desktop (or installer).

I'm not sure if this card is worth the headache and might just send it back to amazon for one that's known good :problem:

hmm... I have a ZNDA and it works fine under Lion and SL 10.6.8. Have you tried to flash the graphic BIOS? It could help

I have the same card, the exact model number is 577A ZNFC. From what I've read the issue lies somewhere in the bios of the card, it seems some of them shipped with a compatible bios and others didn't. The only permanent fix as of yet is to flash a different bios (there is always risk of bricking).

If you simply want to boot into Lion or 10.6.8 try "GraphicsEnabler = No -x" before boot.

The DriverPatch listed on this page http://macprovideocards.com/1068update/ returns functionality by rolling back to 10.6.7 drivers but I lose QE/CI. I tested this by running DVD Player but I receive the error shown below, launchpad is also laggy as hell. Anyone figure out how to get full graphics acceleration without a bios flash?

Lion.png

I am running Lion 10.7 with vanilla kexts on ATI 5770 (XFX HD-577X-ZMF3) and ACD 27” connected to MiniDP with full acceleration and in 64bit. Cinebench score of 37.

Anyways, here is what I did. Used vanilla kexts for 10.7. Copied ATI5000Controller.kext from SLE to desktop. Opened kext and edited Info.plist by replacing Langur with Vervet. Saved and copied back to SLE. Repaired permissions. That’s it.

It seems that references to a number of framebuffers have been removed from the ATI5000Controller.kext in 10.6.8 and 10.7. In my case, it was missing a reference to the Vervet framebuffer which is the framebuffer injected for my card by Chimera/Chameleon. Check what framebuffer your card uses by running the system with 10.6.7 kexts and typing ioreg | grep ATY in terminal. When you add your framebuffer into the kext, the controller file again loads all ports.

redratto said:
I am running Lion 10.7 with vanilla kexts on ATI 5770 (XFX HD-577X-ZMF3) and ACD 27” connected to MiniDP with full acceleration and in 64bit. Cinebench score of 37.

Anyways, here is what I did. Used vanilla kexts for 10.7. Copied ATI5000Controller.kext from SLE to desktop. Opened kext and edited Info.plist by replacing Langur with Vervet. Saved and copied back to SLE. Repaired permissions. That’s it.

It seems that references to a number of framebuffers have been removed from the ATI5000Controller.kext in 10.6.8 and 10.7. In my case, it was missing a reference to the Vervet framebuffer which is the framebuffer injected for my card by Chimera/Chameleon. Check what framebuffer your card uses by running the system with 10.6.7 kexts and typing ioreg | grep ATY in terminal. When you add your framebuffer into the kext, the controller file again loads all ports.
All my ports seem to work fine after rolling back, the problem is hardware acceleration. I tried what you suggested but it does not make a difference, system is still unable to boot (forget QE/CI). My framebuffer is Vervet also. If you don't mind can you upload your ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFrambuffer.kext, and ATISupport.kext. I might just not be editing it properly. Thanks buddy.

illmatic24 said:
redratto said:

All my ports seem to work fine after rolling back, the problem is hardware acceleration. I tried what you suggested but it does not make a difference, system is still unable to boot (forget QE/CI). My framebuffer is Vervet also. If you don't mind can you upload your ATI5000Controller.kext, ATIFrambuffer.kext, and ATISupport.kext. I might just not be editing it properly. Thanks buddy.

illmatic24: Not sure if it make sense to upload files since I use vanilla kexts with only one edit. Here is a "fail-safe" step by step guide for what I did:
1. Use only vanilla Lion 10.7 kexts. To be clear, if your problem is similar to mine, you do not have to use any ATI kexts from 10.6.7 or similar in S/L/E.
2. Copy ATI5000Controller.kext from S/L/E to Desktop
3. Show package content and open Info.plist
4. Find the reference to Langur and replace with Vervet
5. Save and Copy kext back to S/L/E
6. Repair permissions
7. Check that your boot.plist in E/E has GraphicsEnabler=Yes and remove any references to AtiConfig etc. in boot.plist.
8. Remove AtiInit.kext if you had installed it.
9. Restart system.
That's it. Let me know how if it works.

redratto said:
illmatic24 said:
redratto said:

illmatic24: Not sure if it make sense to upload files since I use vanilla kexts with only one edit. Here is a "fail-safe" step by step guide for what I did:
1. Use only vanilla Lion 10.7 kexts. To be clear, if your problem is similar to mine, you do not have to use any ATI kexts from 10.6.7 or similar in S/L/E.
2. Copy ATI5000Controller.kext from S/L/E to Desktop
3. Show package content and open Info.plist
4. Find the reference to Langur and replace with Vervet
5. Save and Copy kext back to S/L/E
6. Repair permissions
7. Check that your boot.plist in E/E has GraphicsEnabler=Yes and remove any references to AtiConfig etc. in boot.plist.
8. Remove AtiInit.kext if you had installed it.
9. Restart system.
That's it. Let me know how if it works.
Thanks for the detailed directions but it still did not work for me. Back to 10.6.7 kexts...

Anyone manage to get this particular model full (QE/CI) working without a bios flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back