Contribute
Register

Xeon Processors on Non-Server Motherboards Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Sabertooth Z77
CPU
Intel i7-2600k
Graphics
nVidia GTX 480
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I'm working on a new build or a friend when I stumbed upon Xeon e3-1230 server CPU with similar benchmarks to the i7-2600k without the integrated graphics and roughly 100 dollars less and...... I was wondering if you could slap a Xeon CPU in a Non server motherboard and still have it work. I was checking CPU support lists for mobos and there are rumors of it working, but before I grab an Xeon I just wanna make sure it works in a non server mobo.

Can anyone confirm this is working?

Thanks

I actually have a xeon on order so I will be testing this theory. If you are willing to wait than I can let you know.

I have a Xeon 1156 that works with a non server h55 motherboard. But I am ordering another xeon to make another build with a h57 mobo. Hopefully it'll work without any issue.

Just an update to this post, the H57 mobo didn't work with the xeon processor. Got another H55 mobo for another build and worked fine with that.

been using it for the past 3 months and i am very happy.

it should work fine for you as well just don't plan on any overclocking.

I have 2x 2.8 Intel Xeon e5462 quad core processor from an Apple Xserve 2008 and 32 gb of 800 mhz ddr2 sdram. Is it possible to do a build with these parts and what motherboard should i use. neophyte. First build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back