Graphics
560 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm looking to build a real alternative to a Mac Pro.

Looking for dual-hexacore Xeon's and a OSX compatible motherboard. I've seen some things about EVGA's SR2 but no one actually explaining how to get it working... Any other board confirmed solid/stable/simple?

Any suggestions on parts? Builds budget is $3550.

So far only "Solid" picks I have are:
3x 120GB Sandforce based SSD's
3x 2TB WD Black Drives (or seagate better? I always was seagate before)
24 GB's of RAM
6xxx AMD GPU

I know this sounds batcrazy machine, but I do a lot of heaving design work. Anything from massive multi-gigabyte photoshop files to Final Cut Pro. Also starting to learn After Effects for some upcoming projects.

Of course I'll play the occasional game in windows :)

I'm not new to hackintosh world, so not like i'm a befumbling idiot... I do own mac's two, currently have the 27in iMac i7 2.93ghz with ssd/hd, though that will be sold once this is up and running

see my list in signature, build

jpa said:

your build doesnt seem like anything close to what he is proposing.

@philz, what is the mac pro with similar specs looking to run you back in $?
havent ever heard of a dual xeon hackintosh before, but your budget seems quite high, real mac pro money.
why build a hackintosh when the real thing is an easily viable option?

samisnake said:
jpa said:

your build doesnt seem like anything close to what he is proposing.

@philz, what is the mac pro with similar specs looking to run you back in $?
havent ever heard of a dual xeon hackintosh before, but your budget seems quite high, real mac pro money.
why build a hackintosh when the real thing is an easily viable option?

The closet I can get is the Westmere 2.93ghz hexacore chips, in a dual configuration would set me back $6200, not including ram or gpu or storage configuration.

I can also get a build with a single processor I want, the Westmere 3.33ghz hexacore, that'll set me back $3699, again not factoring in ram or gpu or storage configuration

Yes it's an awesome case, build, layout, support, works out of the box..... but the power is just not there! I need at least a geekbench score of 20,000 in a way for what I'm doing.

jpa said:

Looks like a great build, but it's nothing better than my current iMac (just slightly faster processor speeds).

I know what I want, and I stated that... I'm looking for at least a hexacore (if using consumer chips the extreme edition 990/980x), and what I'd really like is a dual-hexacore setup. It's a world of diffrince performance wise between your setup and what I'm looking to build...!

The three SSD's will be dived up like this:
  • OSX Lion/Snow (I'm a dev)[/*:m:38ms03km]
  • Scratch disk (yes a whole SSD dedicated to that)[/*:m:38ms03km]
  • Windows (for the occasional game)[/*:m:38ms03km]

I might even get a hardware raid card for the 2tb drives, putting them into raid 5. As my extra storage (non-crazy work, like DSLR raw files, HD footage that's not being edited, etc).

Yes I'm looking for crazy, but I need it!

mmm cpu.
Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core

suppot
wiki/index.php/CPU_Database

Not yet :(

jpa said:
mmm cpu.
Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core

suppot

It should work, it's older brother the 980X (also hexa) does according to that list...

It's still not really what I want, it's the if nothing else works option (which is to just buy a new iMac probably...)

I really am looking for info on dual-CPU boards... Do you have any idea on that JPA?

philz said:
jpa said:
mmm cpu.

suppot

It should work, it's older brother the 980X (also hexa) does according to that list...

It's still not really what I want, it's the if nothing else works option (which is to just buy a new iMac probably...)

I really am looking for info on dual-CPU boards... Do you have any idea on that JPA?

ahh yes, works 980X :p
mmm I have no idea of dual cpu, if you need to spend much money on a hack pro? to do a very good 2500$ :p

Refers builds,
viewforum.php?f=54

or

Sandy Bridge
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18178

My ideas:
Build 1
Core i7-980X
GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 or GA-X58A-UD7 2.0
CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler or H70
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 or GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870
240 GB or 120 GB or 180 GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe SATAII Solid State Drive - HDD OSX
1TB x 4 (x units) Samsung Spinpoint F3 Hard Drives - Backups
Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B
LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo
nMEDIAPC ZE-C128 Black Aluminum Panel
Corsair TX850W PSU v2

Build 2
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE or PRO
CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler or H70
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 or GIGABYTE GV-R687OC-1GD Radeon HD 6870
240 GB or 120 GB or 180 GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe SATAII Solid State Drive - HDD OSX
1TB x 4 (x units) Samsung Spinpoint F3 Hard Drives - Backups
Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B
LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo
nMEDIAPC ZE-C128 Black Aluminum Panel
Corsair TX850W PSU v2

jpa said:
philz said:
jpa said:
mmm cpu.

suppot

ahh yes, works 980X :p
mmm I have no idea of dual cpu, if you need to spend much money on a hack pro? to do a very good 2500$ :p

Refers builds,
viewforum.php?f=54

I actually do need to spend that much... As I said, for what I'm working on most of the $2500 builds wouldn't even be able to get me off the ground with the work I do...! Most of these $2500 builds only get a geekbench score of 8000-12000, I'm looking for at least 20,000+++... Video deisgn/editing is just straight raw power and multi-threaded to crazy limits...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back