1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Color Classic
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
OK ... I was so exited with X99, but finally it seems that E5 2600 V3 are just around the corner...

that would be ideal for so many reason =

1) ram, more ram , and even more ram..... imagine rendering in after effect with 36 core having 4 Gb of ram each and stil be able to do a 512 Gb ram disk for scratch disk....
2) 80 lane PCIE 3.0
3) thunderbolt ad on card.
4) Compatible with future E5 V4
5) a lot of onboard SATA 6g

no way for apple to put a twin 18 core with 1tb of ram in a trash Pro, it just would not be able to disipate the heat generated by the CPU and PSU....

so dropping the idea of building a X99 rig in favor of a E5 V3 rig.... as soon as apple upgrade the trash pro to E5V3 we should be able to have full support for the CPU....

dont get me wrong here : a 8 core X99 machine would be nice and a massive upgrade from my Z77 3770K but it is nothing (that it would cost around 4 to 5 K€ to max it out) compared to a Twin 12 core xeon with 256 Gb of ram...

and I can coop with having to work on a window machine if I have to until OSX is fully suported then.......

to be realist, i dont think I will risk all in, on a twin 18 core at the beginning, so i might go for the twin 2690:
http://ark.intel.com/products/81713/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2690-v3-30M-Cache-2_60-GHz

neither would i be able to finance 1,5 Tb of ram so it is like likely going to be 256 Gb at the begining.
GPU would be a titan Z.

this would be a sub 7000€ rig and would make circle around the top end trash pro...

now the question is what motherboard would be the best bet ?

it doesn't look like any of the supermicro or tyan server mobo have a UEFI bios to start with .

I know that there are a few guys that have mitigated result with the HP Z820, and almost gave up.

The HP Z840 is supposed to be out in a few week but if it is like the Z820, it will come pré-équiped with expensive quadro card and you will not be able to do a true "customized" configuration...

I know that a Trash pro would be the "professional, hassel-free" way to go but i just can't resume myself to hand 10K to apple to get a outdated machine that have no internal expansion and no descent video card for adobe suite or davinci...

My Z77 hack as served me very well, but let's face it, it start to be a little slow for the amour of 4K raw I have to deal with.....

so any advice would be welcome, and hopefully we can have what every mac video editor have dream about for the last 5 year = a professional Hack pro that let you work flawlessly... even with the biggest project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back