Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any reason why use of your Mac Pro's SSD wouldn't work.

But...boy, oh boy! If it didn't work out, I wouldn't want to be w/o a backup. I don't think TM backs up the bootloader partition, just the main OS X partition. Therefore, I recommend using CCC on a GUID formated HDD or partition. :thumbup:

Hah exactly! I decided to play it safe and do a TM backup and go from there. I will do a clean install on my Mac Pro anyway, so doesn't matter if the original OS goes to ****. :D

Edit: tested with original Mac Pro OSX installation. First updated Mountain Lion to 10.8.3 on Mac Pro. Switched my SSD to the CustoMac. Booted with UniBeast. Holy crap it works! I got all my files and users. Everything except for front panel USB, audio and sleep works. Sleep only shuts down the display, not the computer, and won't wake the screen back up. Gonna see what multibeast can offer to fix this.

Edit2: Installed MultiBeast, which fcked up things. OS didn't load past white screen. I heard the audio crack though, so I suppose it loaded the OS, but graphics didn't load properly. Good that I have that TM backup. :)

things seems to be running great with gtx 580. tried a gtx titan. NG at the moment. was hoping the 600 series drivers were close enough so it would work, but KP on boot. if anybody has any luck please sure

pulled out the 690 from my gaming rig to see if that will work, getting black screen on any dvi port i plug into, tried graphicsenabler=no

no dice, anybody have any luck with a 690?

and to bypass my last slot issue i got a cheap 3 slot pci expander, works flawlessly so I can have back all my precious pci slots again!

Hey Xmephestox,

Have you gotten the gtx titan working on you hack?
Another user and I are trying to make that happen on another thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-compatibility/90034-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-3.html

Hope that 690 works for you as well!!!

Made a backup first, and tested on the backup... Everything went 100% perfect, no problems at all... Reminder of current config:

2x 2680 Xeon
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS on bios 0311
64GB RAM
GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB EVGA
2GB XFX 6870
Mass assortment of HDDs
CUDA -- and Resolve work great

Hey Xmephestox,

Have you gotten the gtx titan working on you hack?
Another user and I are trying to make that happen on another thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-compatibility/90034-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-3.html

Hope that 690 works for you as well!!!

Titan doesn't work right now, the drivers are different enough to what's released on the mac side so it won't play nice. so threw it in my gaming rig for now, until osx gets updated drivers and hopefully titan starts working in the near future. 690 didn't wanna play nice either, but for anything cuda based for video work like resolve, the 5xx series actually outperforms the 6xx series. they designed the hardware for the 6xx series more for games rather than video render calculations. so my 580 gtx classified is in there for no.

gonna pick up a 7870 soon and see if I can get that to work as I have some apps that really take advantage of open cl, and radeons are better for that. tough to get working gonna see if i can get sleep working and use the sleep trick. hoping chameleon will have an update soon to bypass the sleep trick all together...

so I got the usb 3 working right off the bat but noticed that my front ports connected to mobo work a LOT faster than my onboard mobo ports. anybody having the same issue? i have a g drive hooked up to the front ports getting full bandwidth off the drive doing a disk speed test. i plug it in the back and notice right away it takes forever to mount. and the speeds are super super slow.

Maybe it´s a DSDT issue, are you using a Custom DSDT?

I didn´t compare between front and onboard ports, but on another computer i had to insert the hub on DSDT edit. Maybe using an extracted Dsdt from Ubuntu you can solve this.

i am running completely dsdt free right now, i couldn't find any dsdt for this mobo, and not 100% sure on how to make a custom one, this is my first build so learning as I'm going along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back