Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks man! As for the 680... I would have, but it does not have 3x Mini display ports to run my 3 monitors off of.

Also, working on a G5 hackintosh to replace the media server mac mini, and I will be posting info on that when the project is finished, probably some time next week, and will be sure to include many in-progress shots!

I am absolutely thrilled with your system!

I have a couple of quick questions, because I would be interested to build such a system.

Do you think a collaboration with the new graphic card ATI Firepro W8000 or the elder ATI Firepro V7900 is possible?

Do you think a collaboration with capture cards as a DeckLink GD Extreme 3D is possible?

And now a very special question! ;) Do you think a collaboration with a capture card as Datapath VisionRGB-E2S http://www.datapath.co.uk/products/video-capture-cards/visionrgb-e2s is possible?

Thanks in advance!

CitizenCaine

Thanks!

Not sure about the Capture card... you would have to search on compatibility with the Mac Pro and if it works on a Mac Pro, it will work on a hackintosh...

As for the Firepro, sadly, OSX does not support these graphics cards and there are no patches for them that I know of either =/

does sleep/wake work properly on this rig? i see in a lot of the user guides that it does not, and may never.

need to build a new machine and it seems like "going all the way" would be a good idea, but i do need sleep/wake to work flawlessly.

thanks

Do you think a collaboration with capture cards as a DeckLink GD Extreme 3D is possible?

And now a very special question! ;) Do you think a collaboration with a capture card as Datapath VisionRGB-E2S http://www.datapath.co.uk/products/video-capture-cards/visionrgb-e2s is possible?

Thanks in advance!

CitizenCaine

I am not sure about the specific cards you listed, but I can confirm that the Blackmagic Intensity Pro Capture Card works with OSX on both my hackintosh and my Mac Pro, and I also found it to be fairly cheap in comparison to many other capture cards-around $189.05 off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CN9GEA/

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your answers! :)

I will continue to follow this thread with curiosity!

Nice work Man amazing super computer . but i wonder what the Cinebench OpenGL score ???

awesome job on the build... like many others ive given up on apple upgrading the mac pro and I'm looking to build a hackintosh. i use my current 2009 8 core mac pro for heavy video editing and i need something much faster... I have a few compatibility questions for you if you dont mind. I'm going to be running FCP7 suite & production premium cs6, will there be any issues with these programs? i noticed fcp7 is crashing on your system. i want to use this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1385329) flashed graphics card, will there be any issues? i also read the fans in your case are loud, what quiet fans would you recommend? would a Gigabyte motherboard be more reliable? would i have any issues with use the audio out from the motherboard?... sorry for all the questions :)

Not a problem!
Ok first...

FCP7 Havent used yet on the new Hackintosh, as its 32bit.
Fixed my FCPX issues, turns out there was some sort of hardware compatibility with the newest update of it (10.0.5) 10.0.4 works fine tho
My case fans are loud because they are CHEAP. I needed a massive amount of airflow, and didn't want to shell out 150 bucks on fans all at once when i'm spending 5 grand on eveyrthing else, so I chose to save where I could. Now, about a month later, i'm just about ready to upgrade my fans probably 2 at a time 30 bucks here and there is better =D. I am looking at the Corsair Quite Series.
I bought a gigabyte Mobo for my upcoming G5 Hackintosh (will be posting that within the next week or so) However, as I am still test benching, the system hasn't had a lot of "consistent" uptime.
I would HIGHLY Recommend an ASUS Server board with the amount of features, and the quality... can't be beaten in price.
As for the audio, didn't have any luck when using lion, but in ML, I stopped having audio conflicting problems and USB audio works fine (and thats all I need) so I havent messed with the onboard. If you are looking for 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound, there are USB flash drive size surround sound adapters (one is linked somewhere on like page 3-5 i believe on this thread)
CS5 works like a dream, but have yet to try CS6. Can't imagine there will be any problems.
Also, from what I have read, the GTX 680 works, but I have no personal experience with it.

Thanks for your questions, and please let me know if you have any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back