Contribute
Register

Xeon E5 - 16 Cores/ 32 Thr Z9PE-D8 WS 12TB GeekBench 28,000

What would you use this computer for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
See my screen shot in the post above your last one for the memory, but it shows up as 64GB (8x8GB) in the system. Also shows up to geekbench correctly.

How did you get your 32 cores to show up? I can not get the last core to work have to boot with cpus=31.

Yeah so putting in the ElliotForceLegacyRTC didn't help with the memory problem. I'm thinking I might edit the plist with the right info to see if that helps. I'm going to go back into my Time Machine though and pull out the plist that showed up from Mavericks and see what it looked like.

As for your cpu flag. That shouldn't be required if you have the ssdt patch in the right folder, hacked bios, no nullcpupowermanagment kext, or even the patched version from Unibeast for 10.9.0 that replaces AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. If you did a fresh install , this probably isn't a problem, however I do remember you saying that you had ran Mulitbeast 7.5. So depending on the settings, you may have put some of these kexts into your folder.

And as for the Bus speed, it's coming through you SMBIOS from Clover because it's an entry and with an assigned basic value and has nothing to do with the QPI link speed. So don't worry cause mine shows it too. Read this http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#QPI

Yeah so putting in the ElliotForceLegacyRTC didn't help with the memory problem. I'm thinking I might edit the plist with the right info to see if that helps. I'm going to go back into my Time Machine though and pull out the plist that showed up from Mavericks and see what it looked like.

As for your cpu flag. That shouldn't be required if you have the ssdt patch in the right folder, hacked bios, no nullcpupowermanagment kext, or even the patched version from Unibeast for 10.9.0 that replaces AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement. If you did a fresh install , this probably isn't a problem, however I do remember you saying that you had ran Mulitbeast 7.5. So depending on the settings, you may have put some of these kexts into your folder.

And as for the Bus speed, it's coming through you SMBIOS from Clover because it's an entry and with an assigned basic value and has nothing to do with the QPI link speed. So don't worry cause mine shows it too. Read this http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#QPI

I used a clone of a fresh install of 10.10.5 as the base starting point. I do not have a hacked BIOS and I only used multibeast 7.5 to install the easybeast basics and network driver.

Do I need to use an AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from a working regular mac install?

What other kexts are you referring to?

Thanks for the heads up on the QPI too.

I'll write up a post on your kext questions soon but I have a question about how your processors show up on hardware monitor. Does it only show 8 cores? Mine does. Geekbench reports using 32 cores but that's also logged into the system profiler. I bring this up because I updated final cut pro and it stutters in playing and my app "Menu Meter" isn't compatible with 10.11 nor will it be probably. That was my most reliable source for detailed information.

Right now these are my main problems and concerns:

1. CPU using all cores
a. Geekbench reports 35k+ so we're within the ball park, I'm just not sure.
2. Memory isn't reported correctly. I have 32GB installed of which only 16 show. It showed fine in Mavericks with Clover and no mods in plist to show it. I have a separate thread here.http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-showing-16gb-32gb-installed.html#post1125435. I'm not sure that using the modification in Clover is the only fix for this, but it may come down to it.

3. Getting the second GTX 980 Ti installed.
a. For such a community of hackers/geeks I'm surprised at the lack of info and knowledge that exists about how some of this stuff works. I'm struggling finding more information to troubleshoot what I need to do/fix in order to get this card in there. I'm baffled that an OS upgrade changes how the motherboard works.

Update: Nevermind about the Final Cut Pro jitter and not working. It was a plugin issue. Works flawlessly. :clap:

Cool I would really appreciate help with the kexts and trying to get the cpus to show up correctly and more importantly get used.

In activity monitor I have 32 processor bars, but there is no activity on the very last one. I know this is because I have to use cpus=31 in order to not have a kernel panic during boot. The system is stable and fast-isa now with the IO acceleration enabled but I have a thread/core not getting the right treatment by the OS.

I have hyper threading and speedstep enabled in the bios, the two options for intel virtualization -d are disabled.

You are in El Cap now right? I do not know how we have gotten to basically the same setup (I'm on yosemite though) and have so many different results. You are using a V2 processor right? I don't think that should make much of a difference especially since I am using a GTX 970 so we are installing the same drivers.

For me the memory shows up correctly in terms of amount but I have to force the speed in the bios to 1600MHz otherwise it defaults to 1333MHz for some reason.

I don't know how to get the second video card working. To me it feels like a slot/bios thing more than an OS as normally the OS will take a second card with out any real trouble. Perhaps trying the video card on a slot controlled by the second processor or using slots 3, 5, 7. Those are the only things I have seen so far that work with our board.

I feel you about the difficulty in knowledge and how to get it, it appears that it's all out there in 1000 different threads and you just have to find it. I am going to try to compile all the of the info for this build when I get everything finalized.

Ok, first your kexts. Like I'll say down below. You are probably using the right kexts, but are having the same issue I was with Yosemite and this board. However, if you're insistent on Yosemite, then I would probably, [sigh] I know, reinstall the OS. Here's why. There's one kext that you could've selected which actually replaces the original kext and you wouldn't be able to tell that it's been modified (maybe). Remember the sudo kext cache command I gave you a few threads back? It runs through and tells you which kexts are being allowed to run modified. However, I'm not sure that this kext would show up. If you selected Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in the Misc drivers section, then this would replace the original. However, from reading your thread, I don't think that any of the preconfigured options automatically select this option. I believe that there is just some issue with getting Yosemite to work correctly.

In activity monitor I have 32 processor bars, but there is no activity on the very last one. I know this is because I have to use cpus=31 in order to not have a kernel panic during boot. The system is stable and fast-isa now with the IO acceleration enabled but I have a thread/core not getting the right treatment by the OS.

How are you getting activity monitor to show you your cpu cores. Mine just has one overall cpu monitor for activity? I looked through the options and nothing. Update: Nevermind, I found CPU history which shows all of them.

You are in El Cap now right? I do not know how we have gotten to basically the same setup (I'm on yosemite though) and have so many different results. You are using a V2 processor right? I don't think that should make much of a difference especially since I am using a GTX 970 so we are installing the same drivers.

Nope. I gave up on Yosemite specifically because of the CPU problem you're having and the fact that I couldn't get the GTX 980 Ti to even grab onto the NVIDIA drivers. I know it's been a pain until now, but I would try El Capitan and see if you can clear up the cpu flag thing. It did for me as soon as I tried to do the installer. No issues.

For me the memory shows up correctly in terms of amount but I have to force the speed in the bios to 1600MHz otherwise it defaults to 1333MHz for some reason.

Yeah, I know about this problem too. I had to force mine into 1600. This is actually just a SPD and BIOS problem from the RAM. Not a big deal though.

I don't know how to get the second video card working. To me it feels like a slot/bios thing more than an OS as normally the OS will take a second card with out any real trouble.
It is actually the handoff between OS and BIOS. This is why in Mavericks I had all 32GB show up perfectly and was able to put in my two other video cards without a problem. If I were to do the same things in Windows, I'd have no problem because windows has every interpretation know to man for hardware configuration in the slots handed off by the BIOS. Matter of fact, your SMBIOS, in addition to the rest of the DSDT, is in charge of telling the OS what your motherboard has and how it works. The trouble is, it doesn't always translate well because OS X is obviously specifically programmed for the boards that only Apple makes.

Perhaps trying the video card on a slot controlled by the second processor or using slots 3, 5, 7.

After looking at the block diagram in the back of the manual I saw that PCIe x16 slots 1 and 3 are controlled by CPU 1 and slots 5 and 7 are controlled by CPU 2. So, I thought maybe having the cards on separate CPUs might be the problem. I'm partially right.

I put the cards in slots 5 and 7 and could boot up with both cards. However, it only recognizes one card correctly, while the other card just says NVIDIA chip model. Also weirdly enough, I could only plug the monitor into the bottom card; otherwise plugging it into the top card would prevent the bootloading from ever passing the PCI configuration begin.

I will be trying slots 1 and 3 today but I'm not expecting much success. I'm thinking that a DSDT edit is needed to get this working the right way.

I feel you about the difficulty in knowledge and how to get it, it appears that it's all out there in 1000 different threads and you just have to find it.

That pretty much sums it up.

By the way, if you haven't already found this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...xeon-e5-2660-gtx-590-3gb-64gb.html#post583729
it also provides a wealth of information.

Sculpey,

I learned from another site that the cpus on Yosemite is capped at 31 thus creating the problem with the cpu flag. I would try doing El Capitan. I haven't had any problems with the cpus there.

I tried El Cap 10.11 and had the same problem. 31 cores. Can not boot this with all 32 CPUS enabled, either putting nothing in for cpus or cpus=32. No go.

How odd. I'll dig through some things and see what's going on. Could you upload a copy of your Clover plist and I'll see if there's anything going on.

Here is our working config.plist file.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.1 KB · Views: 235
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back