Contribute
Register

X99 Hackintosh hardware problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to happen when I'm trying go heavy on the ram. Anyone understand what it means?

Thank you!

It's hard to tell from just that, at least for me.. maybe one of the guru's here can help more. I almost always find crap like that turns out to be software, not hardware though.. although it's entirely possible since you said it seems to happen when you've got a lot of ram in use that causes it to hit a flaky memory chip or something that doesn't get used under light load. If you get that error and it always seems to have the Nvidia kexts listed I'd start looking there.. make sure you're using the exact version for your OS - click about this mac and then click on the version # to get the exact build # inside the () next to it and then re-install them off Nvidia's website - they've got (at least the last time I used em) different versions for like each minor update, it's possible OS X updated something that the web drivers don't like. Honestly I've had nothing but problems with their Web drivers and avoid them whenever possible, and when I did go through the trouble of getting em to work never really noticed much of a performance benefit - but IDK if that card just straight-up needs them or not, I had (have? lol too much crap around here) one that did. If it IS a hardware problem the best way to find out is to start removing and/or replacing stuff and see if it goes away unfortunately, or if possible swap components into another box and see if the problem moves. The only thing I can suggest that may help (it's a shot in the dark and it might not even boot without it) is drop slide=0 from your boot args (don't remove it from config.plist, just remove it at boot b/c it might not even boot up..) IIRC that disables address randomization so in my mind if you remove that and the machine still boots but the problems happen way more often it'd point to an actual hardware problem, most likely bad ram. You can also try underclocking it if your machine supports it and see if the problem disappears.. if so almost certainly a HW prob. Going back to my old-school ways if that box has been in use for any significant amount of time it might be worth pulling the ram and cleaning all the contacts off good with a pencil eraser, not likely to help but worth a shot if you think it's HW related. BTW if you're still trying to get the T5400 working I dropped you a belated reply the other night on that thread.. I hadn't seen a reply to my post about it until I happened to look at my profile to change some stuff, I must have not checked off notify me of replies.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back