Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Aloha, I'm trying to get some advise but my recent attempts failed; possibly due to a link I provided which consisted of a list of parts from a website. Instead I'll list the parts I've chosen and would like feedback, recommendations, and or substitutions for the items I've chosen. This build is for daily office use as well as video editing and possibly streaming console game content.

Here's the list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (OS X boot)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Win10 boot)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Total overall cost is estimated $2,300.00 and I'm trying to lower the overall cost.

Please advise. Mahalo.

Aloha, I'm trying to get some advise but my recent attempts failed; possibly due to a link I provided which consisted of a list of parts from a website. Instead I'll list the parts I've chosen and would like feedback, recommendations, and or substitutions for the items I've chosen. This build is for daily office use as well as video editing and possibly streaming console game content.

Here's the list:

Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Please advise. Mahalo.

After searching and reading, this mobo has made my list of potential boards to buy.... but at Microcenter near me, the board is no long available... Is it discontinued? Any other similar compatible boards?

Will you be running two video cards? The EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ has a max draw of 300W, so a 650W PSU should probably be the minimum. Not that it matters all that much since Newegg is selling the EVGA 220-GS-1050-V1 for $130 after rebate. That is not bad, not bad at all.

Why worry about lowering the cost when you're installing a $460 GPU? I say throw on another 64GB of RAM. :D

As far as the OS goes, I always suggest that one never buy the Home Edition and always go with the Pro edition since the Home edition is usually neutered and will probably not be supported as long as the Pro Edition (usually supported 4 more years than the Home Edition). And absolutely never, ever, buy an Upgrade edition. Always get the Pro and do a clean install.

Last edited:
So I finally pulled the trigger on a i7-5820K for $319 but I am STILL lost on buying the right mobo to allow me to Hackintosh it as well as still run Win and game.

I see the recco's for mobos from 2014 but its 2016 and want to know what features are needed to make a board more compatible. I am trying to compare the modern boards with the older ones and see what is still the same and whats different.

I am willing to spend about 250-300 for a board if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back