Graphics
ASUS GTX-960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have been trying to setup my syste that being an Asus X99-Deluxe, 16GB memory and an 8 core 5960X processor.
I have been through many iterations of unseats and clover. The closest I had to having a system up and running was Mavericks but that proved to be extremely unreliable and after about three reboots failed completely.
For Yosemite I have been at a point where I reached and completed the first OS X installer, patched the kernel but when rebooting the SSD through the USB installer for the final install OS X program the startup hangs at the oft mentioned PCI configuration begin message.
I have followed the unibeast guide(s) including deleting the kext in Extra folder and deleting four kexts in S/L/E and replacing and adding four recommended kexts with VoodooTSCSync being set for the 8 core processor. Kext Wizard was used to insert the kext and permissions were all fixed.
I have been at this for a week now and am about to put back my old Z97X board but I am ever hopeful.
Any suggestions?

Don't give up!

I have the same mobo and CPU and have a fairly stable install. Don't expect any turbo boost though - it runs at 3GHz no matter what. I'll try and have a look and get back to you with my boot flags.

David

Thanks David...turbo boost is the least of my problems...just a reliable 10.10 would be my goal!
Also I leave the BIOS with default settings...plus secure boot at other OS, VT-d is disabled and legacy boot all round.

I have been trying to setup my syste that being an Asus X99-Deluxe, 16GB memory and an 8 core 5960X processor.
I have been through many iterations of unseats and clover. The closest I had to having a system up and running was Mavericks but that proved to be extremely unreliable and after about three reboots failed completely.
For Yosemite I have been at a point where I reached and completed the first OS X installer, patched the kernel but when rebooting the SSD through the USB installer for the final install OS X program the startup hangs at the oft mentioned PCI configuration begin message.
I have followed the unibeast guide(s) including deleting the kext in Extra folder and deleting four kexts in S/L/E and replacing and adding four recommended kexts with VoodooTSCSync being set for the 8 core processor. Kext Wizard was used to insert the kext and permissions were all fixed.
I have been at this for a week now and am about to put back my old Z97X board but I am ever hopeful.
Any suggestions?

In which step you are right now?

I will simply mentioned the required steps below,

1. Create bootable USB with Unibeast
2. Patch the kernel
3. Delete all the kexts from /Volumes/<USB>/Extra/
4. Delete AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from Volumes/<USB>/System/Library/Extensions/
5. Download the attached kext.zip file
6. Copy the downloaded kexts files to /Volumes/<USB>/System/Library/Extensions/
7. Add the flag dart=0 npci=0x2000 -v -f to org.chameleon.boot.plist file
Eg: <key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0 npci=0x2000 -f -v</string>
8. Boot from USB, complete the installation.
9. Boot again into installer.
8. Copy the patched kernel from USB to HDD
Code:
cp -R /Volumes/[B]<Your USB Name>[/B]/System/Library/Kernels/kernel /Volumes/[B]<Your OS X Partition Name>[/B]/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
9. Reboot and boot into OS X Partition with the help of USB.
10. Complete the remaining process of installation.
11. Run Multibeast with proper options selected.

Attachments

• kext.zip
    482.1 KB · Views: 109
I am at step 8 and used the boot flags as you recommend.
Not sure if my screenshot will come through as this is the first time....
2015-04-26 22.26.51.jpg

I am at step 8 and used the boot flags as you recommend.
Not sure if my screenshot will come through as this is the first time....
View attachment 135420

Have you copied the kexts??

Is the BIOS running with latest firmware??

Try to boot with "npci=0x3000" instead of "npci=0x2000"

I did try npci=0x3000 and the firmware is the latest (1702).
I will regenerate the USB installer on another mac again following your instructions and let you know in a couple of hours...the original installer was done on a 2009 Mac Pro (running 10.10.3).

later...I regretted the USB and the end result is as before. The chameleon config file was edited as suggested with npci=0x3000 plus the other boot flags...

So, I have made a tactical withdrawal by installing Mavericks instead of Yosemite. Built the USB following early Haswell/X99 instructions on a Mavericks system. All is working except that I have to have the USB attached to be able to boot the system.
AT least I am there ...almost.

So, I have made a tactical withdrawal by installing Mavericks instead of Yosemite. Built the USB following early Haswell/X99 instructions on a Mavericks system. All is working except that I have to have the USB attached to be able to boot the system.
AT least I am there ...almost.

Hey Bradish, I would have PMed you this question but cannot.

In your 6950X system overlocked to 4.2, is it stable enough to run for many hours at a time, or all day ... such as one would do for music production?

I'm thinking of following your build - like the geekbench numbers there, just wondering about this.

Thanks!

Hey Bradish, I would have PMed you this question but cannot.

In your 6950X system overlocked to 4.2, is it stable enough to run for many hours at a time, or all day ... such as one would do for music production?

I'm thinking of following your build - like the geekbench numbers there, just wondering about this.

Thanks!
This build runs all day from about 7:00am to 11:00pm at night...and continuously means no sleep. The average(?) cpu temp at rest is about 37 to 38 degrees and peaks at 82 to 84 on geekbench. The room temp is always between 28 to 32 degrees or warmer (I live in Malaysia).
I must admit that I am very happy with this machine...but anxious to get Sierra up and running, although el Cap is great enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back