Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I'm looking at building an x99 to dual boot. Purpose for this build is more for video editing and possibly some gaming/streaming. Please look over this list and advise me if I'm going overboard on these parts and if you could recommend any substitutions. This will be my first build, but I'm not a complete noob to how a computer works. Coding on the other hand is different story. I've attached pics from my Amazon Cart and would love some constructive criticism. Thank you in advance. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Btw...the precision tool kit was just because I lost my other set. Lol. :)

I'm looking at building an x99 to dual boot. Purpose for this build is more for video editing and possibly some gaming/streaming. Please look over this list and advise me if I'm going overboard on these parts and if you could recommend any substitutions. This will be my first build, but I'm not a complete noob to how a computer works. Coding on the other hand is different story. I've attached pics from my Amazon Cart and would love some constructive criticism. Thank you in advance.
Btw...the precision tool kit was just because I lost my other set. Lol. :)

Not to thread jack, But I too am looking to purchase a new X99 Mobo and a 5820K but am a bit lost as to which mobo to buy. I *WILL* be gaming under windows and want a stable fully working hackintosh. I bought one of the recommendation Gigabyte for my Ivy bridge i5 and had no issues but this site has no X99 recommendations. Also looked online and it seems the X99 Gigabytes only get like 3 out of 5 stars so not sure how solid or good they really are. I want a decent level board but DO NOT need built in Wifi and flashing LEDs that some gaming boards have, but want to make sure I'm not missing features.

Hyfidelity, hit me up. I'd like to see where you're at and what you figured out so far. Maybe help you and vice versa.

BTW, Microcenter has that CPU for $319

You forgot the anti-static wrist strap.

Check the SSD to see if it has a SandForce controller. Those don't always play nice with OSX. Marvell is probably better than SandForce, and Phison a little less than the Marvell.

The SSD is too small, imo. Go for 256GB minimum. But I wouldn't settle for anything less than 512GB. With SSDs you have to provision about 10% of the disk space for the SSD to be able to replace bad cells. When the SSD gets to 85% full - it's time to replace it with a bigger drive. Some SSDs come at 480GB instead of 512GB - they usually are already internally provisioned. I would only get an MLC SSD, never a TLC drive.

For video you may want to install 64GB. (If I had an X99 I would install a single kit of 8 modules.) Once you install a kit, say your kit of 2x16G you may have problems if you ever add more memory, even if it's the same part number, or even if it's an identical part (chips, timings, etch board, capacitors). It's always best to install a single kit. And in your case that would be either 8x16GB, 8x8GB, or 8x4GB. Whether or not the memory is on the ASUS QVL certified memory list is another matter - if it isn't you will have to visit each of the major memory manufacturers' websites and use their Memory Finder or Memory Configurator apps. to see if they make a single kit for your mobo. Figure about $390 for a single kit of a total of 128GB memory.

I don't think you need the screwdriver set. A PC just uses household tools, #2 Phillips, and maybe a 1/4" nut driver (idkfs).

I don't do Seagate HDDs, I only do Western Digital Blues. ymmv.

@Necvros, I haven't even started yet and lost as where to begin. My heart is pretty set on the i5820k, but my only draw back is the possibility of no built in GPU that the i6700k has; which I think would be the hurdle for hackintoshing the i5820k. (I could be wrong of course...please chime in if I have my facts wrong). I'm on the same page as you regarding the mobo. Im still on the fence with that gigabyte vs Asus. I believe gigabytes a better choice for hackintoshing, but Asus seems to be more stable. I could careless for the LED lights and all...I just want it to work...lol. I too will be secretly gaming via windows...but I'm trying to make this Wifey friendly.

@kiiroaka, thank you for the reply. my first choice was Samsung SSD's, but I was trying to cut cost. The SSD was only going to be for application and OS. I noticed the board only supported 1 m.2 which was going to be used for OS and applications. I'll be chucking the sea gates....putting back the originals WD's I chose.

Regards to my screwdriver set...I lost my other set and just needed a replacement..lol. No relation to the build. That things been sitting in my cart forever.

64gb of ram was my first instinct as well...but talked my self down to 32gb thinking I could add more later. If it does cause problems adding more later, then I'll go back to 64gb. 128gb may be overkill imo.

One more thing. Should I stick with the 980ti gpu or go with the AMD Radeon R9 390 GPU? Current MBP 15" runs the Radeon 380, so I'm thinking there would be less trouble with compatability right?

I've updated my cart...do u think this will work?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

@Fl0r!an thank you for the advice. I will revert back to the original GPU I had. Do you see any other issues i can expect...aside from installing the OS...lol

64gb of ram was my first instinct as well...but talked my self down to 32gb thinking I could add more later. If it does cause problems adding more later, then I'll go back to 64gb. 128gb may be overkill imo.

I'll wager that when Sierra comes out a lot of guys are going to find out that they need more RAM. :D

The problem with "adding more later" is that no matter how much cheaper RAM becomes in the future you will end up throwing it away (or at least sitting in a drawer somewhere) {because you should really only install in a single kit and not multiple kits}, selling it, or using it in another build. The advantage of having more RAM now is that you won't be tempted to buy more, probably faster, RAM later. Well, that and being able to set up RAM disks so that apps run in RAM instead of SSD NAND memory. Or you can set up a two SSD Raid 0...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260918/how_to_supercharge_your_pc_with_a_ram_disk.html (And as always, it's the comments at the end that are the most interesting.)

I could make the case for more memory bandwidth when two dual channels are used, but the reality is that a single dual channel (2 sticks) will probably work as well as two dual channels (4 sticks) as far as gaming goes. (And in reality some reviews have found that 2 dual channels may run slower than a single dual channel - but that may be because of the app coding, but probably is because of the memory controller architecture on the CPU (memory interleaving overhead)). But, then again, chances are that the XEON 6, 8, 10 or 12 cores won't be taken full advantage of when gaming, anyway, so why bother a XEON? :D The reason for more RAM is for rendering and compiling, just as the reason for the XEON is because of rendering and compiling.

I still think you should start with a 480 or 512GB SSD, preferably a Pro (MLC), instead of the EVO (TLC). I definitely wouldn't dual OS the disk, though. Just throw on a $50 WD 1TB Blue for $50 and game on it. You certainly have all the room in the world to install more disks in that case. :D

What yours may end up looking like:
https://hardforum.com/proxy/CKbSwEeCjghRhx1wSh5e36qt+/bcnjBHOVe4aZFd5Yku62z+1QWeVkzc2P2HiVOgq+nIEfW93A+wAadODOv3/image.png

I, of course, would only be using Noctua fans. :D

Thanks for the chance to read another case review. And another PSU review. And another CPU review. ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back