Contribute
Register

x79 Enthusiast Build Compatibility Check (i7 4960X, GTX 980, 32GB RAM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi folks,

I recently decided to build myself a Hackintosh for obvious reasons. Originally I wanted to go with the newer x99 platform but i heard that it is not really well supported by mac.

So last week a friend of mine decided to get rid of his x79 build and I just had to take it. I got it for a steal!

Now I need to check if all the components would be compatible with Hackintosh or if i need to switch out certain parts.
Hope you guys can help me with that. Thanks in advance!

System:

CPU: i7 4960X
CPU-Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 WS x79
GPU: Asus GTX 980 Strix OC
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 32 GB, 4x8GB DDR3-1866
SSD: 2x Crucial MX300 750GB (RAID0 ???!)
PSU: BeQuiet 1000W Fully Modular
Wireless LAN & Bluetooth: USB or Card ???!
Case: Fractal Design Define R5

Looking forward to your feedback :)

1000W PSU? Ivy Bridge needs that kind of power?

Last edited:
1000W PSU? Ivy Bridge needs that kind of power?
Possibly the previous owner had maxed out the HDDs connected and had additional PCIe cards that required the power or he/she oversized the PSU for expansion that did not happen or some other reason.

Possibly the previous owner had maxed out the HDDs connected and had additional PCIe cards that required the power or he/she oversized the PSU for expansion that did not happen or some other reason.

correct. he planned for expansion and OC and never did that. buuuut is there a REAL problem with having an oversized PSU? other than possibly it being inefficient and probably paying more energy bill?

correct. he planned for expansion and OC and never did that. buuuut is there a REAL problem with having an oversized PSU? other than possibly it being inefficient and probably paying more energy bill?
Not really. If anything, it will run much cooler as it has little load on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back