GTS 260
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Posted here not too long ago but got no real input.
Hopefully get some Input from "Going Bald" and "Onastvar", as these two members have the closest motherboards and setup to the one I have. I however cannot Direct message them, because I have less than 75 posts. FML.

I have a Gigabyte X58a-UD5 rev 2.0 (legacy board) with an RX 580, and installed Mojave on it. I tried installing it first with Unibeast, but no matter what I did, I can never get the installer to complete, as it kept rebooting over and over again.

I then did what "Onastvar" did and used another Apple computer to install Mojave.

Great, now I have Mojave installed on an SSD.
I then put the SSD (formatted in APFS) that I installed Mojave on back into the X58a-UD5 motherboard. Couldn't get it to boot off of Clover. Installed Legacy clover, updated clover, old clover, new clover.... Used Clover Configurator to mount the EFI folder, made all the DSDT changes, edits, APFS drivers, etc. Used other people's EFI folders...

Basically, I can never get Mojave to boot off the SSD (APFS). I always have to use the Unibeast USB flashdrive to boot into Mojave SSD.
If I try to boot off the SSD, either the system reboots right after post (doesn't even give an error message), or I get an X64 red screen of death.

It's driving me nuts. Have worked on this for a week, tried everything, can't figure it out. I have attached my most current EFI folder.
Please someone take a look. And if you have over 75 posts, please get the attention of "Going Bald" or "Onastvar".

Happy Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 63
BTW the SSD I'm using is an
"OWC Mercury Extreme® Pro 6G SSD 120 gb"

Thanks

Update: I copied the custom EFI that I made for my SSD from my SSD to another USB drive (not Unibeast).
It boots. However, I cannot boot it from the APFS SSD at all. Why can't it boot from the SSD???

Are you installing Clover to the EFI partition or to root? I found that my system will not boot if Clover is installed to the EFI.
Try copy the EFI folder to root from the flash drive.

Hi, thanks for replying. I had seen an old post from you where you had done that. I had tried installing Clover to root (by unchecking the ESP/EFI option), but it gave me "Installation failed". I haven't yet tried manually copying the EFI folder from the flash drive to the Root of the SSD however.

Question though, do I just copy the EFI folder to root? Or do I copy the Boot file as well?

I never had this issue with this SSD (I've had for like 6 yrs) with legacy EFI on older installations of OS X. This is the first time that I cannot boot from it.

Also one more question. I am currently running an i7-950 (4 core) overclocked to 4.1 ghz. I've been running it for years without any issues and I use the DSDT for my gigabyte motherboard off of tonymacx86.
If I upgrade to a Xeon x5675 (6-core), do I need to do any DSDT edits? Or should it all work out of the box with the one I've been using off this website?
Reason why I ask is that I noticed in my fakesmc HWmonitor, that the CPU in the bios always shows 4.1ghz (OC speed), but in Mojave, it keeps throttling it down to half-speed (~2.2 ghz), and then up again (4.1ghz) when needed. I thought I turned off Turboboost in the Gigabyte BIOS so surprised it has power management enabled. Wondering if the 6-core Xeons have extra states or something.
Thanks

@ driverswanted
To answer both of your latests posts:
You need both the EFI folder and the boot file in root.

I recently replaced my i7 920 with a W3670 6-core Mac Pro upgrade kit from ebay and it worked OOB. No changes to DSDT required. I see no reason replacing your 950 with a 5675 should have any issues either.

I just upgraded my processor to x5675 and upgraded my Ram from 6gb to 12gb. Tried to load my working Mojave installation (which was running great on my i7950 and 6gb of ram) , and now Im getting a kernel panic "error loading kernel cache". Thought it was a random corrupted kernelcache, so I tried booting with my Unibeast flash drive. Gives me the same error!! Wtf happened? I cant figure this out.

Change one of the two variables back. You upgraded too many things at once. Ram is easiest. Put it back to the original 6GB try again. if still doesn't work, put in the old processor. If it still doesn't work, try your USB stick again.

Update your signature with your exact motherboard. to you KNOW if it is compatible with the x5675?
The GA-X58A-OC is NOT compatible with the x5675 processor. Suggest a Core™ i7-990X might work better.

Last edited:
Your X5675 is not on the CPU compatibility list for your board. Try putting your old CPU back in.

Attachments

• GA-X58A-UD5 (rev. 2.0) | CPU compat.pdf
    210.5 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back