Contribute
Register

X58 + Xeon X5675 needs SpeedStep off going from 12.2 to 12.3+

I just change 6,1 to 7,1 in the kext, does it look right to you?

I'will also try the new one

Ventura: What do ypou mean by avx emulation? I guess what we have right now is just bypass, right?
Performance still look ok for me though comared to Monterey(Cinebench, geekbench)
with oclp root patch you even get hevc de/encode on my RX 570

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 13.11.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 13.11.06.png
    969.6 KB · Views: 42
6,1 to 7,1 => Yep that's what I did in the kext I provided, seems like you have P-States working now.

What do you get in powermetrics now?

Ventura support involves a lot of root patching and AMD Navi is still not supported so you can't upgrade your GPU to the RX 5xxx/6xxx series. I don't really like the patching approach as an OS update can break your system anytime, kinda go against the whole OpenCore philosophy.

6,1 to 7,1 => Yep that's what I did in the kext I provided, seems like you have P-States working now.

Ventura support involves a lot of root patching and AMD Navi is still not supported so you can't upgrade your GPU to the RX 5xxx/6xxx series. I don't really like the patching approach as an OS update can break your system anytime, kinda go against the whole OpenCore philosophy.
the powermetrics I posted above are with 7,1 and those p-states. I actually did some overclocking, here's what I've got stable:

CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.12% (3998.06 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.17% (4000.01 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.14% (3998.84 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.11% (3997.76 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.08% (3996.60 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.15% (3999.44 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.13% (3998.62 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 104.17% (4000.01 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 100.61% (3863.31 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 102.01% (3917.17 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 100.99% (3878.14 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 103.06% (3957.36 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 102.12% (3921.24 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 103.50% (3974.40 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 101.65% (3903.21 Mhz)
CPU Average frequency as fraction of nominal: 103.12% (3959.97 Mhz)

the powermetrics I posted above are with 7,1 and those p-states. I actually did some overclocking, here's what I've got stable:
Yep, you definitely have turbo working now.

and actually I don't care about any philosophy at all. If it works and I get wha I need then there's nothing wrong.
I think also using such a cpu with higher gpu tier is not reasonable, since it bottlenecking.
Do you know by chance how to get Intel Power Gadget working. Is there an older EnergyDriver.kext or so? Because when I try to load it it freezes upon login

I think also using such a cpu with higher gpu tier is not reasonable, since it bottlenecking.
Do you know by chance how to get Intel Power Gadget working. Is there an older EnergyDriver.kext or so? Because when I try to load it it freezes upon login

You still get stuff like hardware VP9 decoding with the RX5xxx and RX6xxxx series.

I never managed to get Power Gadget to run... and I tried a LOT of versions.

You still get stuff like hardware VP9 decoding with the RX5xxx and RX6xxxx series.

I never managed to get Power Gadget to run... and I tried a LOT of versions.
also falmkesmc seeems to get better sensor coverage, or will I miss something, if I don't use VirtualSMC?

also falmkesmc seeems to get better sensor coverage, or will I miss something, if I don't use VirtualSMC?

No, that's right. VirtualSMC is supposed to be "better" but I used to get the CPU multipliers out of fakesmc when I was still running Clover.

I don't know the cons of using Fakesmc with Opencore.
I reckon the main issue is those X58 chipsets and 10+ year old CPUs are no getting much love with newer plugins.

Even here, you'll only find handful of users still running them with Big Sur and above.

So, back to my X58 build, I finally decided to try Ventura on the Sabertooth, which is my test setup.

Prior to upgrading the OS, I upgraded Opencore to 0.9.5, changed my SMBios to MacPro7,1 and checked that everything was still running fine.

Turbo was still OK after changing the 6,1 reference to 7,1 in my patched ASPP-Override.kext as explained above.

Now, after installing Ventura (that went surprisingly smooth, with the help of CryptexFixup.kext, NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib-AVXpel.kext and OCLP to patch the RX580 and USB1.1, even tho USB1.1 still only half works with Bluetooth being visible but not activable), turbo multipliers were gone again.

The fix was a bit simpler this time. I found a link to this commit in another discussion and adding both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext did the trick:

(I still need my patched ASPP-Override.kext - I tried with a stock one and the multipliers would be stuck at their minimum)

So, back to my X58 build, I finally decided to try Ventura on the Sabertooth, which is my test setup.

Prior to upgrading the OS, I upgraded Opencore to 0.9.5, changed my SMBios to MacPro7,1 and checked that everything was still running fine.

Turbo was still OK after changing the 6,1 reference to 7,1 in my patched ASPP-Override.kext as explained above.

Now, after installing Ventura (that went surprisingly smooth, with the help of CryptexFixup.kext, NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib-AVXpel.kext and OCLP to patch the RX580 and USB1.1, even tho USB1.1 still only half works with Bluetooth being visible but not activable), turbo multipliers were gone again.

The fix was a bit simpler this time. I found a link to this commit in another discussion and adding both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext did the trick:

(I still need my patched ASPP-Override.kext - I tried with a stock one and the multipliers would be stuck at their minimum)
Hey thanks for reporting this. I'm running Sonoma now, but with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext I'm locked to 1,9Ghz. Without them, just having ASPP-Override.kext loaded everything works

Back