Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have just got a Gigabyte X58-USB3 motherboard so am going to build a new system, the question is which CPU will I use?

I'm interested to hear opinions and experience of both. I will be OC whichever one I go for.
Although these are the two I have in mind other variants may be considered as well if it keeps the cost down. e.g i7 920 or Xeon W3520

I intend using UserDSDT with the DSDT from this forum.

ijhu said:
both types of CPU are confirmed working. W3520 has better overclocking threshold which can go to 4.6GHz on air vs 4.2GHz on i7-920 (came across a document somewhere on the Internet).

Yes, that's the reason I am thinking about the Xeons and i will be liquid cooled. thanks for your input

the_gael said:
ijhu said:
both types of CPU are confirmed working. W3520 has better overclocking threshold which can go to 4.6GHz on air vs 4.2GHz on i7-920 (came across a document somewhere on the Internet).

Yes, that's the reason I am thinking about the Xeons and i will be liquid cooled. thanks for your input

Ok I have gone for the XEON W3520 now need a little bit of advice from anyone who has overclocked using this CPU and board - what RAM would you recommend?
Have been tempted by very attractive pricing on Vengeance Triple Channel CL8 Ram - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back