Contribute
Register

X299 14 Core Mac Pro build compatibility questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
ScottKendall, because this is all hardline tubing using acrylic. If it were simply hoses that would be one thing, this is a different beast altogether. The goal is to have both the 1080Ti and the air-cooled Vega in the machine at the same time. The link UtterDisbelief put up should resolve this concern if all goes well.
Kylec I noticed you have a post about NVMe motherboard slots, and making sure they connect to the CPU for best performance, I am going to need to double check which slots on the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme are direct CPU connected, I want to say the DIMM.2 is which supports 2 NVMe drives.

Kylec, looks to be that the DIMM.2 board near my memory is dual, the first slot closest to the memory is CPU connected, the second slot will eat 4 pci lanes from the lowest PCIE connector on the board switching it from an 8x to a 4x. Shouldn't be too big of a deal overall as my processor has 44 PCIE lanes.

I may end up doing this as a Mojave setup as from what I can see, the Hackintosh community is still largely focused there, and I feel most of my software will have no issue for a while under it. Any thoughts on not going with Mac OS Catalina for the time being?

That's strange that they label it DIMM.2. Please use the M.2_2 label, instead. It's more clear, in this context.

Looking at the manual, both are CPU connected when using a 44 lane CPU, which you are. You misunderstood about the lowest PCI-e connector. That is also directly CPU connected. PCH-connected PCI-e slots run at x1 or x4. Your motherboard has one: the one with the x4 sized connector.

As I said already, I recommend Mojave for this system.

Ah thanks for the clarification Kylec, I was going off what was being discussed on the ASUS ROG forums. Good to hear that the upper NVMe slotting will be CPU connected.

ScottKendall, because this is all hardline tubing using acrylic. If it were simply hoses that would be one thing, this is a different beast altogether. The goal is to have both the 1080Ti and the air-cooled Vega in the machine at the same time.

The link UtterDisbelief put up should resolve this concern if all goes well.

The acrylic might be easier in the long run.

Things often change with new OS versions :

I got my AMD Radeon VII Gold Anniversary Edition yesterday for a good price. Fixed my loop so I could put that card in ( tube was in the way ). The Radeon VII is working great under Windows 10 alongside the 1080Ti, with both running at 16x ( slot 1 and 3 on my Rampage VI Extreme ). Starting work using KGP's guide.
I "think" I am good in regards to MSR unlock, but will see, as there is a way around it in KGP's guide if ASUS didn't actually handle it via the MSR control.

I do have a question, lots of other guides talk about Unibeast / Multibeast, which seem to be about getting clover to USB and clover to the SSD ( RehabMan's reference ). No where in KGP's guide are they ever mentioned. Are they just not used at all, or was there an assumption that I would know to use them?

They're not used. Unibeast and Multibeast are aimed at the hardware that's in the recommended list, here (and also work on motherboards similar to those ones).

Ok good to know, thanks for the heads up!

I moved over to OpenCore today, not too difficult. I have a pretty damn good working setup now ( built off CC and then moved to OpenCore )
The biggest win was the shock that the Bluetooth on the ASUS Rampage VI Extreme is supported out of the box!!

I just moved over to VirtualSMC and I don't get any GPU temps off my Radeon VII, and I my i9 7940x won't report my wattage correctly in either istat menu or intel power gadget ( or any other reporter I have seen )

Once I learned of VoodooTSCSync.kext my issues poofed! Getting USBMap ironed out was a nice update as well.

I haven't tried to tackle sleep yet, but I am super happy with how well this Mojave 10.14.6 setup is now working.

Overall I am super happy with how well things have worked out. The move to OpenCore just increased my understanding of how everything works together, in particular SSDTs.

Besides the concern of temp and wattage monitoring, my last issue I would like to resolve would be the spam I get in regards to this:

AppleUSB20HubPort@14132200: AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect: persistent enumeration failures

I get hammered with these in the console. I was able to get rid of this issue by turning off Above 4G Decoding, but I then lost all my USB ports except 1 as that one is special, the rest are USB 3. That wasn't a fix, and seeing USBMap reports that I am down to 7 or 8 USB ports, I am under the 15 limit. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back