Contribute
Register

X1 Yoga (1st Gen) post install error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, reinstalled Catalina using the same EFI folder.

Formatted the partition as APFS via Disk Utility during Catalina installation. Doing this causes the boot to fail much earlier in the process, and I can't seem to find much when I search up the errors.

Maybe something in the bios needs to be changed for Catalina (even though my current settings work fine for Mojave?)

Here's the video, probably best viewed at 1/2 speed

Are you sure that the installation finished successfully, rather than getting most of the way there and then just rebooting, or something like that?

Yes, 100% the installation finished. It reached the screen that shows the restart button with a 10 second countdown timer.

I did notice clicking the restart button didn't do anything, but the auto-restart worked fine when the countdown hit zero.

Also, I've now tried 10.15.5, 10.15.6 and 10.15.7 all with the same result (boot fail). All 10.14 releases boot no problem

If I had to guess, I'd say you should try installing to a different make and model of SSD. But this is a weird one! I think your main error is "failed to mount vm volume," but I wasn't able to find any good posts on it.

Update: I managed to get it installed, but experiencing some weirdness.

What I did different was:
  1. Used EasyMBR to create USB Installer (same as before)
  2. Used Clover Configurator to open EFI partition (same as before)
  3. Copied over my Mojave EFI folder (same as before)
  4. Installed Clover (same as before)
  5. After installing 10.15.7, reboot to installer again, and in terminal typed "copytempdata", then reboot (DIFFERENT)
  6. Reboot into Single User more and at terminal prompt typed "hfsupdatecache" (DIFFERENT)
  7. Reboot to working Catalina.

Now my issues are:
  1. The MacOS volume has a folder icon for some reason
  2. Spotlight isn't finding any of my applications

Any ideas what's going on here? I can't even change the Disk Drive icon (drive labelled "Catalina" in the image below), and rebuilding Spotlight index gives me an error.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 10.20.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 10.20.27 PM.png
    74.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 10.21.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 10.21.29 PM.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 43
Oh, I didn't get that you were installing to MBR. That's the reason for all of this. Was it your intention all along?

Did you end up with HFS+ or APFS?

To be honest I don't even know what my intention was. I was following various guides and tried to do it on my own before reaching out for help.

I believe HFS. Wondering why my drive shows up as "Logical Volume Disk". Is that normal? Is this why the icon is a folder and spotlight isn't working right?

Attachments

• PXL_20201005_023507430.jpg
    PXL_20201005_023507430.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 34
The createinstallmedia info there hasn't been updated for Catalina, so adapt the command that's given for Mojave. Or just do a search and you'll find it.

WOW. Thank you! It worked! The method I was using to create the installation media was wrong. I followed your link and tried with the createinstallmedia method, and it worked perfectly!

Spotlight works fine, and the drive shows up with the correct icon.

Everything is working beautifully. I noticed 4k video on YouTube stutters a bit, but it's fine. It doesn't really bother me. Plus, I never had Windows running on this laptop, so who knows, maybe it stuttered a bit on Windows too.

The only teenie tiny thing I noticed is, I always have to shutdown the machine for Clover to boot the OS. A reboot gives me an AML error and hangs.

Thank you for all the help. I might actually turn this laptop into my daily machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back