Lenovo Yoga X1 (Gen 3)
CPU
i7 8650U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi all,
I finally (after lots of googling and trial and error) got Catalina installed on my Yoga X1 using the latest release of Clover.

The machine attempts to boot, but hangs on the following error:

com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]

Any ideas on how I can tackle this? It feels so close yet so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20200928_215706535.jpg
    PXL_20200928_215706535.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 53
Your processes are crashing. Maybe if we could see the whole boot log, there'd be other errors.

Does it boot successfully into single user mode?

What make and model of SSD do you have?

Not a Desktop - Moved to Laptop Support.

Your processes are crashing. Maybe if we could see the whole boot log, there'd be other errors.

Does it boot successfully into single user mode?

What make and model of SSD do you have?

Thanks for the reply. The drive is a Samsung mznty256HDHP-000L7. I am able to boot into Single User.

I'm not really to sure how to obtain the entire bootlog. I can get into Single User - are the logs you're referring to in /System/Logs?

I've been away from messing with this stuff for about 6-7 years, so a lot has changed since I last had my hack and feel like a complete noob.

Thank you and apologies for posting in the wrong section.

Okay, that's a SATA drive (CM871a), so compatibility is not likely to be an issue.

You can make a video of the verbose boot - that's probably easiest. Or from single user mode you can look at /private/var/log/system.log.

In order to copy it off you'd need some procedure like this: https://alvinalexander.com/mac-os-x/mac-osx-single-user-mode-usb-drive/

While I was banging my head on the table I thought maybe it's worthwhile trying to see if Mojave installs with the same configuration in Clover. Sure enough, got Mojave up an running without a hitch (although sound doesn't work, though the volume slider shows up fine).

I'm still curious as to what changed between 10.14.6 and 10.15.7 which is preventing the machine from booting. I kept my 10.14 installer on a separate drive, so I will try Catalina again and will try pulling the logs using the link you provided.

I did some googling and it seems I'm not alone. Several others are experiencing the same error in Catalina only.

So I've been testing Mojave since Tuesday and it runs pretty much flawlessly. Sound works great now too after changing the layout with Clover Configurator.

I decided to try Catalina again with the exact same configuration, but no matter what I end up with the same errors.

It installs just fine with no issues, but when I try to boot after install, I keep getting the exact same errors.

I took a video (in slow motion) to see if I can make sense of the errors. It's probably best to set the playback speed to 2X on YouTube.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Two things are interesting. One, it says your boot volume is HFS! There's a patch that I've seen to install Mojave with HFS - did you use it?

The installer is supposed to convert your drive to APFS. I wonder why it didn't.

The other one is a message saying, "Failed to locate mount-on path: /private/var/vm Failed to mount vm volume." Possibly that is also because it's HFS.

This thread might be people who are having your same issue (no info, unfortunately): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...te-var-vm-failed-to-mount-vm-volume-2.291445/

Yes - I used the files on this git repo (for the most part) for Mojave. All worked fairly well, but I did need to update some kexts for the trackpad and audio to work smoothly.

If I try to install Catalina and manually format the drive with Disk Utility prior to install, it still installs fine, but will not boot with a different error. I'll try to capture it on video, so the screen moves fairly quick before I see "CPU halt" and it shuts off.

Yeah I think we need to get on that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back