Contribute
Register

WWDC 2023 Announced for June 5-9

If I upgrade to that system I can get away with it for the next 5 years! When I get there I will see what am I going to do next! Maybe until then many things shall have changed…

You are obviously one of users who don't mind being perpetually stuck on one version of macOS with no more updates. For those who do care about being able to run the latest macOS, it makes no sense to invest in building a new hack today.

There's definitely going to be many changes in the next five years. One of them is that Apple will end support for X86.

The last hack that I built was an i9-9900K system. Everything was upgradeable, RAM, storage, graphics... But in order for me to get anywhere near the the performance level of my Mac Studio, I'd pretty much have to replace everything.

Instead of trying to upgrade, I just got a Mac Studio. I'll use it for a few years and when I start getting the upgrade itch, I'll just replace it with a new model. I'd just have to unplug a few cables, drop in the new system, plug the cables back in and I'd be up and running. And, the resale value of my current Mac Studio will probably be much better than anything I built.

Economically, I think this makes much more sense. Imo, "upgradability" is overrated.
I ended up in the same boat. I was going to build something higher-end to get up to the AS performance. Then realized it's a full replacement. Bought an AS Mac instead. The upgradability of PCs is really not quite true. They move the socket and memory tech, etc. It's not really fully upgradable.

I don't see any humor in macOS running on X86 based Ryzens. When (not if) Apple kills X86 support, it won't matter if you are on a Rizen or an Intel system, you won't be upgrading macOS anymore.

In all the time that I hackintoshed, I never heard "this will probably be the end of hackintosh" until Apple announced the Apple Silicon transition. Do you really honestly believe that someone will get Apple Silicon versions of macOS running in X86 systems with any sense of usability anytime in the near future? Where have you see any indications of this?

You keep talking about upgradability. If you build a Z790 system with i9-13900K, 128GB of RAM, and 6900 XT, what are you going to upgrade to? Hypothetically, if you built with a 13700K instead, yes, you can upgrade to 13900K. But what do you do with the 13700K that you spent $400+ on?
So so true!! Frankly, how much of that spec is even fully working in macOS anyway? I know we do a lot of maneuvering to make a hack work. I've never had any of my machines perform as nice as Linux on the same hardware. If it was supported by Apple the machines handled better. It became clear to me this was a fun project not a practical one, just my opinion. Hacks were great to test out whether an upgrade had some merit, to a degree, plus it was fun. I think those days are really over.

You are obviously one of users who don't mind being perpetually stuck on one version of macOS with no more updates. For those who do care about being able to run the latest macOS, it makes no sense to invest in building a new hack today.

There's definitely going to be many changes in the next five years. One of them is that Apple will end support for X86.
I do updates very often and I think that the last Mac Pro from 2019 will have support for the next 4-5 years expecially while most users spent hugh amount of cash. I'm aware that x86 is coming to an end but I'm not in a hurry to jump the boat. As I said I love my hackintoshes and I'm willing to keep until the end!

I do updates very often and I think that the last Mac Pro from 2019 will have support for the next 4-5 years expecially while most users spent hugh amount of cash. I'm aware that x86 is coming to an end but I'm not in a hurry to jump the boat. As I said I love my hackintoshes and I'm willing to keep until the end!
Most Users of the Mac Pro 2019 are business, they wrote off the full value the year they bought it, and get to write off the deprecation every year after. In the end they pay almost nothing for their hardware. If their software is native AS they have likely already cut their losses and bought a bunch of the top end Mac Studios.

I can not say for everyones use but for my use case the only thing I regret about the Mac Book Pro is that I did not get 64gb. People create hacks for different reasons mine was due to lack of options. Apple has fixed that for the most part, with all the AS options. Currently they have got the low and the high end specs on the AS. Even low priced options while someone might say you can build a hack for cheaper with more this or that they have done a reasonable job at bringing apple to the masses. No matter how perfect you are someone is always going to hate!

Maybe we will never see a pro line, maybe we will see an SOC with a few PCI slots for things not video card related to give the impression "upgradeable". Maybe someone has some kind of hardware that needs a PCI slot like say an afterburner card or more storage. I have friend that still has some old Firewire Audio hardware that he uses because he thinks the sound from the real synth, sounds better than the synth from Logic.

Disposable hardware

"This is the way"

You can sell the equivalent Mac at the much higher price.
I think you might have miss understood me a little, I am saying apple is leading the charge with the disposable hardware. Who can blame them, the US economy is built on consumption and they have positioned themselves nicely in a place to provide for the consumption.

Maybe it has a higher resell value I will never know, my wife generally gets my old hardware and from there I normally give it away to someone less fortunate then me. I do this because if it was not for that old 486DX 100mhz that I salvaged from a box of parts and it resided in a shoe box I might never have gotten where I am today.

A comment reading these posts. This page "WWDC 2023 Announced for June 5-9" is very sad. All are saying that the hackintosh era is over and it is a waste of money/time to make a powerful hackintosh nowadays.
It's been known for a while there would be an "expiration" on building these due to transition to AS. Think of it as less "sad" and more showing Apple is stepping up their game and pushing their performance beyond what Intel can provide. The upgradibility in PCs is kind of a myth in modern era (not so in the very older systems when PCs were born.

Technically, hacks would be community supported up to a point for a while. Assuming WWDC cancels Intel, not sure if that happens, but for the sake of the discussion, that still leaves Ventura and somewhat new hardware supported (although limited.)

My personal opinion is: it's not worth building anything new since the value/cost/support isn't worth it vs a real AS Mac.

I will say this, I hope they do actually announce EOL of Intel support definitively as it needs to have a date vs speculation.

The next question they need to give a date on is when they want to remove Rosetta 2 (if they do.)

Back