i7-4790K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was thinking about upgrading my PC to the latest hardware. Is it worth upgrading to latest Intel hardware considering Apple has moved away from Intel? With every OS update, more and more features are getting dropped for Intel.

I was thinking about upgrading my PC to the latest hardware.
Depends on what you are using macOS for. Also do you need to always be on the latest macOS version or can you be ok with running an older version ?

For those that need to dual boot with Windows and use that OS just as much, it may still make sense to pick hardware that will also run macOS.

I was thinking about upgrading my PC to the latest hardware. Is it worth upgrading to latest Intel hardware considering Apple has moved away from Intel?
The key word is "latest".
Apple will discontinue Intel support in macOS in the near future—maybe this fall, maybe next fall. Of course, hacks will keep running, with a frozen macOS version, but you won't get ten years of useful macOS life out a new build. On your previous pattern (4th gen. build with updated GPU), it's probably NOT "worth it".

If your use case is all about macOS, it's worth getting an AppleSilicon Mac now.
If, for some reason, you still want a hackintosh, consider getting a second-hand system that is more recent that your i7-4790K and provides a sizeable upgrade in computing power but comes in a lot less expensive than "latest hardware": This, depending on your needs, might be "worth it".

Thank you all for your opinions. I have not had a need to use Windows/Linux OS for a very long time. I have been using a hackintosh since the days of OS Tiger. I think time has now come for me to switch to a real Mac computer. I'll continue using the current build for as long as it lasts. It's more than enough for my needs for the time being.

Thank you all for your opinions. I have not had a need to use Windows/Linux OS for a very long time. I have been using a hackintosh since the days of OS Tiger. I think time has now come for me to switch to a real Mac computer. I'll continue using the current build for as long as it lasts. It's more than enough for my needs for the time being.
I recently upgraded my hackintosh knowing very well that Intel macOS is coming to an end soon. I'll keep using last Intel macOS until most mac apps written for Intel is no longer available or supported. Some mac apps developers stopped updating their apps for Intel as it's more expensive for them to maintain two versions of apps supporting Intel and Apple silicon.

Back