Contribute
Register

worth the wait for new chipset and/or processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
none yet
CPU
ivy bridge
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm not in a big hurry - could wait till summer to build hackintosh if worth waiting. Anyone know what advantages would be gained with new Z77 or Z79 chipset mobos over Z68?

Likewise, any big new features on new intel processor line due soon, or is just speed/power?

Z77? Not much. Z68 is supported fully and you can put an Ivy Bridge chip into it, so it's no real gain that we can see yet.

X79? Different CPU socket that you wont even notice the difference because it is just 2 extra cores. Ivy Bridge will be faster than Sandy Bridge-E until Ivy Bridge-E comes out (next year.

Gordo74 said:
Z77? Not much. Z68 is supported fully and you can put an Ivy Bridge chip into it, so it's no real gain that we can see yet.

Z79? Different CPU socket that you wont even notice the difference because it is just 2 extra cores. Ivy Bridge will be faster than Sandy Bridge-E until Ivy Bridge-E comes out (next year.

*X79

At this point, definitely wait for Ivy. 6 weeks!

jamdox said:
+ 1-2 months when comes out with the new Macs.

Mate94 said:
jamdox said:
+ 1-2 months when comes out with the new Macs.

Incorrect. Dropping in a CPU wont require any update other than possibly cosmetics as long as your Z68 board is working.

HD4000 wont be supported out of the gate, but the processor will. It will just come up as "3.4ghz unknown" rather than "3.4ghz Intel i7 Processor" until the code is changed.

My priorities on my hackintosh are (1) most bang for the buck and (2) stability / reliability.

It looks like X79 mobos will be very expensive, easily twice the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, with no obvious advantages, not even native USB 3.0.

Did more research and only benefit I see of Z77 over Z68 is Z77 has 2 native USB 3.0 ports supported. But GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 provides 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Anandtech measured 5-15% performance gain and 30w power savings on desktop with ivy bridge, over sandy bridge.

In view of above, I will probably get a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo, but wait to get an ivy bridge processor (won't get home from current work project till end of May anyway).

But I don't understand the statement on HD4000 not supported out of the gate. Does HD4000 refer to the family of ATI/radeon graphics cards? Does the statement refer to the fact that updated drivers will have to come out for those graphics cards after the ivy bridge processors come out?

gredhead said:
My priorities on my hackintosh are (1) most bang for the buck and (2) stability / reliability.

It looks like X79 mobos will be very expensive, easily twice the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, with no obvious advantages, not even native USB 3.0.

Did more research and only benefit I see of Z77 over Z68 is Z77 has 2 native USB 3.0 ports supported. But GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 provides 2 USB 3.0 ports.

Anandtech measured 5-15% performance gain and 30w power savings on desktop with ivy bridge, over sandy bridge.

In view of above, I will probably get a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo, but wait to get an ivy bridge processor (won't get home from current work project till end of May anyway).

But I don't understand the statement on HD4000 not supported out of the gate. Does HD4000 refer to the family of ATI/radeon graphics cards? Does the statement refer to the fact that updated drivers will have to come out for those graphics cards after the ivy bridge processors come out?
HD4000 is the name of the integrated grahics in the Ivy Bridge processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back