Contribute
Register

Working Sandy Bridge builds - roll call!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Change boot file with the one in AnVAL 5.1.4

I second that as well. It's not working for me neither via terminal nor drag and drop. But my install is still bootable.

crispybishop said:
That's exactly what I did cornel. I did it via terminal and by just plain ol' drag & drop. Replacing the boot file with the one on my /Volumes/SnowLeo location didn't work.

Hrmmm...

The AnVal boot file: I've tried it three times, each time borking my install, needing a complete SL reinstall (can't even get to single user mode). Same as yourself: black screen and maxed out fans, then a BIOS o/c panic to top it all off :)

Since its efficaciousness appears to be random, I would hasard a guess that it's entirely related to the BIOS settings.

Perhaps those with working AnVal systems can state the exact changes made in the BIOS? Hopefully for those it worked with, they made minimum adjustments.

I have my system working with Anval and have the p6p67 Deluxe also. I went through the many ways to load it and found my old way was best. I open the install volume. I used the "show all files" program and chose "Show". This lets me see the boot file in the Macintosh HD Volume which is what my install volume is named. I throw the boot file there in the trash. I then drag and drop the boot file from the Anval folder to the Macintosh HD volume. I then rerun the show all files program and choose hide. DO NOT REBOOT. Before rebooting I opened the com.apple.Boot.plist and under kernel flags change arch=i386 to arch=x86_64. I then close the file and choose save. I then reboot. Nothing changes in the bios and I did not change anything in the bios. It then boots into 64bit. I found that if I change the com.apple.Boot.plist back to arch=i386 to boot back to 32 bit, then Anval crashes the system and have to use boot disk to get back in and re-edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file back to arch=x86_64 and then everything works again.

Hope this helps and works for you. Everything is working great in 64 bit and reading memory correctly and can use more than 4 GB of RAM and is also read correctly.

Just a note: I also have the Gigabyte x67a-ud7 up and working with anval but I can go into the com.apple.Boot.com with it and change the arch=* settings to the i386 and it does reboot fine. I wonder if it is a issue with the Asus boards and why they can reboot ok after changing just the boot file from anval.

jherbert16 said:
I have my system working with Anval and have the p6p67 Deluxe also. I went through the many ways to load it and found my old way was best. I open the install volume. I used the "show all files" program and chose "Show". This lets me see the boot file in the Macintosh HD Volume which is what my install volume is named. I throw the boot file there in the trash. I then drag and drop the boot file from the Anval folder to the Macintosh HD volume. I then rerun the show all files program and choose hide. DO NOT REBOOT. Before rebooting I opened the com.apple.Boot.plist and under kernel flags change arch=i386 to arch=x86_64. I then close the file and choose save. I then reboot. Nothing changes in the bios and I did not change anything in the bios. It then boots into 64bit. I found that if I change the com.apple.Boot.plist back to arch=i386 to boot back to 32 bit, then Anval crashes the system and have to use boot disk to get back in and re-edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file back to arch=x86_64 and then everything works again.

Hope this helps and works for you. Everything is working great in 64 bit and reading memory correctly and can use more than 4 GB of RAM and is also read correctly.

Just a note: I also have the Gigabyte x67a-ud7 up and working with anval but I can go into the com.apple.Boot.com with it and change the arch=* settings to the i386 and it does reboot fine. I wonder if it is a issue with the Asus boards and why they can reboot ok after changing just the boot file from anval.

Thanks! I did it just the way you did and now 64 bit works great without slow animation. The only thing now, is that my audio isn't working anymore :( It was working fine before.

Wow, between your instructions and the link provided a few posts up that's a much easier install method than all that listed in the AnVal thread over on insanelymac. Why is his like 10 steps long and the ones here are basic delete 1 file and replace it with this one, enjoy. What's the difference?

winnimac said:
dahli said:
mcasa said:
VT won't work on 2500k / 2600k CPUs since Intel disabled this feature on all "K" models :cry:

Intel page says VT-x is available but VT-d not.
Could you try to install parallels desktop?
You can get a free demo on
http://www.parallels.com

If Parallels not works on the 2600K its a total stopper for me ..

in parallels i only see one cpu :(((
also this message
Ihre virtuelle Maschine funktioniert eventuell langsam, da die Virtualisierungsunterstützung auf Ihrem Mac deaktiviert ist.

Ey you´re also from germany I guess .. ;-)

get my parts (2600K and the Asus Pro) today, I hope I can report soon ..

Its first good news for me parallels will even starts!
I checked intel specs, there is lots of processors don NOT support VT-D but VT-X. Its also a thing of the chipset. VT-D is a enhanced level of virtualization and means you can access hardware, e.g. a audio or video card, via driver directly.
So I guess parallels simply doesnt know Sandy yet and therefore only shows 1 core in a kind of basic mode. I think this will be fixed when the first sandy macs appear.

Here is a list of Intel Desktop Processors supporting VT-X but NOT VT-D:
i7-2600K
i7-875K
all i7-9xx (!!), even the expensive 970 and 980X
i5-655K
i5-750(S)
i5-760
i5-2300
i5-2500K

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... processors

jherbert16 said:

Thank you, I'll give this a go right now.

dahli said:
Ey you´re also from germany I guess .. ;-)

get my parts (2600K and the Asus Pro) today, I hope I can report soon ..

Its first good news for me parallels will even starts!
I checked intel specs, there is lots of processors don NOT support VT-D but VT-X. Its also a thing of the chipset. VT-D is a enhanced level of virtualization and means you can access hardware, e.g. a audio or video card, via driver directly.
So I guess parallels simply doesnt know Sandy yet and therefore only shows 1 core in a kind of basic mode. I think this will be fixed when the first sandy macs appear.

Here is a list of Intel Desktop Processors supporting VT-X but NOT VT-D:
i7-2600K
i7-875K
all i7-9xx (!!), even the expensive 970 and 980X
i5-655K
i5-750(S)
i5-760
i5-2300
i5-2500K

source:

verstehe, thx
hab inzwischen mein sys mit 64bit und 16gb ram am laufen, audio (ALC892)
geht noch nicht (vielleich schon zu tode gekext :) ) und unbekannter sata controller,
sonst läuft alles fein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back