Contribute
Register

Working Sandy Bridge builds - roll call!

Status
Not open for further replies.
crispybishop said:
Post-Installation::
**Note**
Now at this time, I couldn't boot from HDD just yet. If you can, then ignore steps 1-7 here. If not, this is why I didn't say to eject the iBoot disk. However, you should be able to boot into the HDD just like you did in step 6 above (i.e. with the iBoot disc in the drive), minus the need for the "PciRoot" command. So go ahead and just boot into your SL drive using that method in step 6 above at this point. Here's how I fixed the problem:

1) Install a simple app called "XRay". You can find it here:
http://download.cnet.com/XRay/3000-2248_4-10079209.html

2) Next, use the "ShowAllFiles" app that you installed shortly ago choosing "Show".

3) Now open the iBoot Legacy disk and you'll see some hidden folders in there. Choose the hidden "Extras" folder and locate the "com.apple.Boot.plist" inside it. Copy that to your desktop. Go into the "Preboot.dmg" image (i.e. mount it) and locate the "com.apple.Boot.plist" just inside it. Copy it to your HDD also. Note that the two files have the same name, so you can't actually copy them to the desktop together, one will overwrite the other. Just keep a note of where the two are and, more importantly, WHICH IS WHICH. (Note: There are only 2 of these files on the disk in entirety. Once you've found 2 different files, you've found the 2 you need).

4) Take these 2 files and open them each with XRay. Authenticate by clicking the little lock. Untick the "Invisible" box, save, quit. You'll see they're no longer invisible!

5) The first one (the one not in the PreBoot.dmg) needs to be copied to (and overwrite the one in): /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
This .plist should only have a few keys inside of it. Nothing in compared with how many are in the other one. Overwrite the one currently at that location.

6) The second one (the one from the PreBoot.dmg) needs to be copied to (and overwrite the one in: /Extra. (Note: It might be a good idea at this time to open that .plist BEFORE copying it into the /Extra folder and add "busratio=X" to the "Kernel Flags" [Where "X" is the value you chose in your Pre-Installation], right after arch=i386 and maxmem=4096. Then save the file and copy it to the /Extras location.)

7) After the 2 .plist files are copied to the appropriate place on your HDD, eject the iBoot disk. Then, RESTART.

Followed these directions because I wasn't able to boot from my hard drive, when I tried my computer freezing at the grey screen with the apple logo. Now when I try to boot from the HD, it goes to this screen
27677730.jpg

If I hit enter I get the error message "can't find rd(0,0)/extra/mach_kernel". I can still boot with iboot successfully but would obviously like to get HD booting working. Any ideas where I went wrong?

@mjgunn: Oh Noes! I left out a step! I'll edit it in a bit.

After copying the 2 boot.plist files, you have to edit one of them. The one inside the extras folder has 2 references to edit. One refers to "Mach_kernel" and the other to "smbios.plist". Edit out the beginning path so that the field reads just those phrases in quotations, respectively.

What it's doing is pointing to a file on the optical disc. You need to remove those references.

Sorry for the confusion:(

That did it, thanks crispy! I'm amazed how well this machine is running considering I bought a dell off the shelf (deal was too good to pass up, I could never have put together a SB machine for this price) and have never built a hackintosh before, everything is working now. The hack community has come a LOOOONG way since I was considering doing this around 2 years ago.

crispybishop said:
@mjgunn: Oh Noes! I left out a step! I'll edit it in a bit.

After copying the 2 boot.plist files, you have to edit one of them. The one inside the extras folder has 2 references to edit. One refers to "Mach_kernel" and the other to "smbios.plist". Edit out the beginning path so that the field reads just those phrases in quotations, respectively.

What it's doing is pointing to a file on the optical disc. You need to remove those references.

Sorry for the confusion:(

Followed your instructions above and I'm having the same issues mjgunn was having. I don't really understand what to do from what you wrote. Do you think you could post the correct code that supposed to be in that file on the forum? Thanks for all your hard work.

crispybishop said:
I'm in class til about 4p MST, so I'd be glad to post it then. But I might be able to eek it out from my iPhone, since this class is so easy ;) Keep an eye out, wingjosh :)

Really appreciate it! I just realized I misread what you wrote and actually added quotations into the .plist. I'm reinstalling right now and i'll let you know if I get it to work.

Still having issues. When I try to boot into Mac OSX this screen appears.

27677730.jpg

Now when I hit enter at this screen, the white loading page with the apple logo appears but it seems to get stuck here. The only way I can boot back into OSX is to boot from the iBoot Legacy disk with PciRoot=1 command.

Another thing I should note was I tried removing the busratio=29 from the com.apple.Boot.plist but all that did was make the wheel spin slower at the white loading screen. It still get stuck there.

I have to go to class now but i'll be back at 8:00 EAS.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Build:

Motherboard-

Gigabyte P67A UD3

Processor-

Intel Core i5 2500k

Graphics Card-

Radeon 5770 HD

i like it, thx tonymac

Asus P8P67 Pro
i7 2600k
16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance 1600
Sparkle Gforce GTX 460 1024
SSD OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
2x Samsung EcoGreen F4 2000GB
LC-Power LC6550 V2.2 Super Silent Black 550W ATX 2.2
Case BITFENIX Survivor

i7.jpg

runs only in 32 Bit Mode :( but 16GB Ram works (see pic)
-force64 does not work,
vmware says on win7_x64 install:
Diese virtuelle Maschine wurde für die Verwendung eines 64-Bit-Gastbetriebssystems konfiguriert. 64-Bit-Betrieb ist jedoch nicht möglich. Dieser Host ist VT-fähig, VT ist jedoch deaktiviert.

i installed on a second hackmac SL and the 10.6.6 Combo on the new SSD.
then i start the new mac with iboot cd and installed
multibeast like tonymac and AnVal(http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=216726,
also the gfx, lan and audio things.
make some changes in boot.plist, smbios.plist and AppleSystemInfo.strings
all works:lan, gfx, audio, bt, usb3, SATA6, firewire, also Software like FCS 3, CS5..

my changes here
Asus P8P67pro.zip

Attachments

• i7.jpg
    i7.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 360
  • Asus P8P67pro.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back