NVidia GTX 560
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I have a working nVidia 9500 GT, and on a whim I wanted to try an old ATI 4850. I'm thinking of using the nVidia in another build.

I did the switch, booted up (no QE/QI), ran the latest multibeast to add the drivers, ran system utilities.

And then it wouldn't give me any graphics.

A) this could be an output thing, I didn't see if I could ssh in

B) this could be something else.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks so much.

nutate said:
Hello,

I have a working nVidia 9500 GT, and on a whim I wanted to try an old ATI 4850. I'm thinking of using the nVidia in another build.

I did the switch, booted up (no QE/QI), ran the latest multibeast to add the drivers, ran system utilities.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks so much.
The 4850 is not supported OOB, you will need to edit the ATI kexts to add it's device id.

nutate said:
Hello,

Any ideas out there?

Thanks so much.

I had an ATI HD4850 running on my OS X and it ran fine. I used the ATY_INIT kexts to get it working. Have a look here http://netkas.org/?p=116. I am now running an Nvidia 9800GTX+ and while bot cards are similar as inn Graphical power the Nvidia runs fine with Luxmark wheras the ATI did not. This may have more to do with the app thann the cards, I dont know.

SYS: OS X 10.6.3
ProductName : Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.6 BuildVersion: 10A432
Kernel : Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri Jul 31 22:47:34 PDT 2009
Model ID : MacPro3,1 KernelMode: i386
CPU TYPE : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Core : 2666MHz Bus: 333MHz FSB: 1332MHz
CPU ID : Ox10677 (67191) Cache L2: 6Mb
RAM : 6144Mb HibernateMode: 0
SwapUsage : total = 64.00M used = 0.00M free = 64.00M

I have the ati 4850 512 mb gddr3 dual dvi right now,it's working!i'm on 10.6.7!

Hi alex,
That is exactly the card I have. Did it just work out of the box or did you edit the kexts? Do you recall your MultiBeast settings?

At any rate, thanks so much for giving me a little hope.

Have a great day.

-r

yes i did the same...i installed 10.6.3,than updated to 10.6.7,booted in safe mode,installed from multibeast ATI 48xx Device Injector and ATI 48xx Patch 10.6.7.That's all.Restart and it should work!Post you're result! ;)
P.S i used multibeast 3.7.2

I have a Sapphire 4830 512MB. I tried what was suggested in this forum however I have not been able to get QE/CI enabled. My testbench for QE is trying to start iMovie, which fails every time.

Using Multibeast 3.7.2, I updated the ATI Controller and ATI Graphics driver. After that I booted into safe mode and installed the netkas 48XX patch for 10.6.7. Doing so however gives me a black screen at boot. I found that by restoring the ATIX2000 Controller from a backup area that I am able to boot normally with video but no QE/CI. Perhaps installing only the Netkas path will work?

I did notice after install that the 48XX patch for 10.6.7 is referencing the old ATI driver from a previous version of Multibeast. I think that the patch may need to be updated to be compatible with the latest ATI Driver?

fenrir2003 said:
I have a Sapphire 4830 512MB. I tried what was suggested in this forum however I have not been able to get QE/CI enabled. My testbench for QE is trying to start iMovie, which fails every time.

Using Multibeast 3.7.2, I updated the ATI Controller and ATI Graphics driver. After that I booted into safe mode and installed the netkas 48XX patch for 10.6.7. Doing so however gives me a black screen at boot. I found that by restoring the ATIX2000 Controller from a backup area that I am able to boot normally with video but no QE/CI. Perhaps installing only the Netkas path will work?

I did notice after install that the 48XX patch for 10.6.7 is referencing the old ATI driver from a previous version of Multibeast. I think that the patch may need to be updated to be compatible with the latest ATI Driver?
I have video fully working on 10.6.8 :headbang: I only nedeed Multibeast to make it work. I booted in safe mode after update to 10.6.8,and installed in /Graphics the ATI 48xx Device ID,ATI 48xx Patch 10.6.7 and ATI Drivers.Have you checked if you're video card id is in 4800 Controller?It may be this the cause...

alex_tzardea said:
I have video fully working on 10.6.8 :headbang: I only nedeed Multibeast to make it work. I booted in safe mode after update to 10.6.8,and installed in /Graphics the ATI 48xx Device ID,ATI 48xx Patch 10.6.7 and ATI Drivers.Have you checked if you're video card id is in 4800 Controller?It may be this the cause...

My device ID was in the 4800 Controller kext. Since I was getting stuck, I decided to update to 10.6.8 last night. I then used the 10.6.8 Exotic patch from Netka's and have QE/CI running. iMovie now loads and the Preview program works now for my pictures. I'm sure there was something that was missing in one of the kext's in S/L/E but not sure where. All I know is that it works now following the steps you provided :D

Oh nice! :D So 4830 works too on 10.6.8.Very good! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back