Contribute
Register

Working High Sierra boot failure - EFI issue?

Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)-FF
CPU
W3680
Graphics
GT 210
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

My working High Sierra build now will not boot from my main drive or by selecting any of my backup drives from Clover.

However, I was able to boot into my main drive, selecting it through my USB's Clover. I got a black Apple screen (rather than the grey one) but I was able to boot into my main drive. The OS works except the screen resolution is low.

I suspect that the booting issue from my main drive is somewhere in its EFI folder?

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello,

My working High Sierra build now will not boot from my main drive or by selecting any of my backup drives from Clover.

However, I was able to boot into my main drive, selecting it through my USB's Clover. I got a black Apple screen (rather than the grey one) but I was able to boot into my main drive. The OS works except the screen resolution is low.

I suspect that the booting issue from my main drive is somewhere in its EFI folder?

Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
copy over your working efi to your hard drive efi?

Using Clover configurator, I copied over my working EFI that I saved on my USB. It took a few restarts but my system now boots...But it's still freezing up. So I think there's still an issue with the latest EFI backup I had. Also, when I boot from my usb I get "Welcome to Clover 5107" and my latest EFI BU boots as "Clover 4961".

Now I've copied over the EFI from the USB, and my main drive boots with Clover 5107. Everything seems ok except the graphics are low res. Would this be a setting to be tweaked in the config.plist?

Yes tweaking the config.plist may fix this low resolution issue. Removing any graphics related entries from the config.plist's Graphics tab in Clover Configurator would be a good place to start.

Making sure that a recent version of WhateverGreen.kext has been included in your setup.

Also checking that you have the latest Nvidia Web Drivers (NWD) installed along with the NvidiaWeb option enabled in your config. The NWD need to be those that don't have an expired Certificate!

I've updated the Nvidia drivers and checked off NvidiaWeb in System Parameters and removed nv_disable in Boot from the config.plist. It booted a few times with higher res but has now crashed again and won't boot.

Starting over I copied the EFI folder from the USB EFI and removed nv_disable and checked NvidiaWeb. I tried to download Whatevergreen from within Clover Config by selecting OS 10.13 but nothing is highlighted and I got a download error - unsupported URL message. When I try under "other" Whatevergreen and others are highlighted but I get the same download error.

I found the kexts on the tonymac download section...Does it matter if I use the latest, or do I need to find the one for my OS 10.13?

Last edited:
I've updated the Nvidia drivers and checked off NvidiaWeb in System Parameters and removed nv_disable in Boot from the config.plist. It booted a few times with higher res but has now crashed again and won't boot.

Starting over I copied the EFI folder from the USB EFI and removed nv_disable and checked NvidiaWeb. I tried to download Whatevergreen from within Clover Config by selecting OS 10.13 but nothing is highlighted and I got a download error - unsupported URL message. When I try under "other" Whatevergreen and others are highlighted but I get the same download error. Is there another way to get these kexts and added to the config.plist?
going back a few years, I think I had a GT210 in a laptop that didn't require nvidia drivers, but I could be wrong :)

Thanks so much for your input so far....

I re-added the nv_disable=1 in Boot tab in Clover Configurator as removing it negated booting up. I installed the latest Nvidia driver as per, (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-update-simple-way-to-install-nvidia-web-drivers.244987/)

The Graphics tab in Clover Configurator is blank or greyed out. The Nvidia Web Driver is engaged after booting up and I installed the latest Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts and are in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

So, I'm able to boot, but still with low res. It seems the new Nvidia drivers are not getting the info from Clover to enable the new Nvidia driver properly. Not sure what I'm missing here...Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Not sure what I'm missing here...Any suggestions?
I don't think that there is any support for the GT 210 in the Nvidia web drivers.

Well, I came across another post recommending removing nv_disable=1 from the Clover config.plist so I removed it again.

And...now I'm getting full 1920x1080 res! Removing it the first time there must have been a conflict with the old EFI setup I was working with.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I came across another post recommending removing nv_disable=1

nv_disable=1 disables the Nvidia drivers so it's not surprising that you had problems whilst including that argument.

Back