Contribute
Register

Working Hackintosh right out of the box! Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell GXM1W
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, more or less. It was a bigger trick just to get this system to power on when I got it home.

I started plotting a Hackintosh build after seeing the $70 build video on YouTube. Turns out WVU does not have a surplus store open to the public. But Pitt does. A whole stack of surplus Optiplexes for $50 sans hard drive. And memory in some cases. I picked up an Optiplex 790 SFF with an i5-2400 CPU on Monday. With HD 2000 graphics, I knew I'd have to spring for a discrete card and bigger PSU.

So payday hits this morning and I head to Amazon to place that order... until I read the reviews on the PSU I'd selected. Ugh. And trying to run a GeForce 710 or 730 on a mere 240W didn't sound like a good idea. So back to the Pitt surplus store site. The pickings were slimmer, but there was an Optiplex mini tower still waiting for a home. So I make the hour's drive north.

That mini tower was an older i5 dual core. Nah. But there was also an Optiplex 7010 SFF i7. with HD 4000 graphics *and* a Radeon discrete card, the graphics problem is solved. SOLD! Stopped by Best Buy for a 2TB HDD and set to work once I got home. Had to scavenge the memory out of the 790, but let's see what I've got... um... uh oh.

What I had was nothing but a flashing amber power light. Seems the PSU had bit the dust. But wait a minute, I've got an identical PSU in the 790. Thank goodness they use the same case and PSU. Swapped it out and I was in business... except the Radeon card has a dead fan. No matter. I've got the HD 4000 graphics to fall back on. A little detour to Windows land to update the BIOS, get the USB installer fixed, and I'm off.

Once I got past the operator error of getting the USB stick to boot, everything was as easy as could be. Not one hiccup.Nothing interrupted the install. No graphics issues. Ethernet working from the word go. The only thing holding me back was the dreaded ALC269. After a couple of dead ends, I got pointed to Voodoo 2.8.8 and now I've got sound!

I don't have iMessage working right yet, but that's for another day.

tl;dr version: except for sound, on a stock Optiplex 7010 i7-3770, the Unibeast/Multibeast method Just Works.

I was surprised. I was sure there was going to be something simple that I missed. Maybe I used up the screwup karma by having to redo the USB stick. Somehow I made it MBR on the first try.

Those Ivy Bridge based 7010s are very similar to the HP 8300s which are also Ivy Bridge. They are by far the easiest to hackintosh pre-built systems ever. I wrote a whole install guide for newbs to follow who are trying a hackintosh for the first time.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...acos-sierra-i5-3470-gigabyte-gtx-1050.224812/

Other than the incompatible onboard audio chip everything else works, especially if you have a CPU with HD4000 graphics.

After a good night's rest, I found a YouTube tutorial to get iMessage working. About the only thing that needs any attention is the pop from the stereo when the sound driver kicks in. But I'm fairly sure I'm just going to have to live with it. Got it running to my Technics SA-600 receiver and SB-G400 speakers. :D

Even real Macs have that pop problem so it's not uncommon. Pretty compatible for a PC designed to run Windows 7/8. The UEFI BIOS by AMI for these Ivy Bridge PCs is mostly responsible. The super low prices make it easy for most anyone to try out macOS Sierra without a 1000 dollar + investment.

After a good night's rest, I found a YouTube tutorial to get iMessage working. About the only thing that needs any attention is the pop from the stereo when the sound driver kicks in. But I'm fairly sure I'm just going to have to live with it. Got it running to my Technics SA-600 receiver and SB-G400 speakers. :D

Wondering how you were able to download macOS Sierra from the App store.

Wondering how you were able to download macOS Sierra from the App store.
Easy. I had access to another machine running Sierra, and did the USB stick setup from there.

I wonder if you are using the VoodooHDA drivers. If so, just edit the Info.plist file and change the igain value to 0 (I think it defaults to 90). Rebuild your kext cache and restart and you should no longer have any more sound pops on power-up.

I picked up an Optiplex 790 SFF with an i5-2400 CPU on Monday. With HD 2000 graphics, I knew I'd have to spring for a discrete card and bigger PSU.

Actually, the stock PSU should be just fine even with a GTX 1050 TI. These machines do not really use that much power. I mainly use the cheap GT 610/620 or GT 710/720 that you can get on ebay for $25.00 (just search for Dell Nvidia GT). Any card that does not require additional power (12V 4-pin, I think) should be ok. I would not recommend any card that uses more than 75W, though.

BTW, what SMBIOS model are you using? iMac14,2?

BTW, what SMBIOS model are you using? iMac14,2?
14,2, yes.

(ETA: I just found a low profile Dell OEM 620 on sale for ~$22. Ordered it. :))

Last edited:
Be careful with GT 610, it stopped working with macOS as of Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back