Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Hackintosh usess a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 motherboard with an XFX 6870 video card. Lion has been running so well I have been hesitant to upgrade to Mountain Lion. Well today I decided to take the plunge. I performed a straight upgrade of the existing system. Here is an outline of the steps I used for a smooth upgrade:

(Note: For systems without a 6870 omit the steps referencing the ATI6000Controller.kext. I posted this guide to help people who go the upgrade route rather than perform a fresh install to work around some of the problems I encountered and solved in steps 14 onward.)

1. Performed a full backup to another hard disk (just in case)
2. Download xMove, MultiBeast and KextBeast from this site and place them on the desktop.
3. Used xMove - Mountain Lion to create an installable version of Mountain Lion on a disk partion (not USB drive)
4. Copied ATI6000Controller.kext from System/Library/Extensions on the Mountain Lion Install parition to the desktop
5. Deleted ATI6000Controller.kext from the original path above
Steps 4 and 5 allow a system using the 6870 video card to boot into Mountain Lion (otherwise the system freezes)
6. Boot the system using the option GraphicsEnabler=No, selecting the Mountain Lion installation partition
7. My screen went white but the installation continued and automatically rebooted
8. After the reboot the system will freeze on the white apple
9. Shut down and reboot using the option GraphicEnabler=No, let the system default to the old Lion parition
10. Open System Preferences, Security and Privacy. Click on the lock and enter your password
Click on the heading General and change: Allow applications downloaded from: ANYWHERE
11. Run KextBeast (be certain ATI6000Controller.kext is on the desktop)
12. Reboot the system (no options)
13. You should be up and running in Mountain Lion
14. Open terminal and type: sudo kextcache -system-caches
15. In terminal type: kextcache -update-volume /
16. Delete from System/Library/Extensions any kexts listed from the above command (otherwise Multibeast will fail)
17. Run MultiBeast to add your back sound (ALC889), IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, 3rd Party SATA, LnxToMac RealtekRTL81xx, Chimera bootloader
18. Reboot
19. Update to version 10.8.2
20. Download 10.8.2 Combo Update from Apple
21. Copy from System/Library/Extensions AppleHDA.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext to the desktop
22. Run the 10.8.2 combo update
23. DO NOT REBOOT but instead run KextBeast from the desktop (This will rollback ATI6000Controller.kext, AppleHDA.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext)
ATI60000Controller.kext should still be on the desktop from step 4.
24. Now reboot
25. Enjoy!!!!

Everything works for me with the exception of sleep. These steps work around the 6870 video card problem and retain the ability to login to the App Store.

Many thanks to all who came before me and posted guides that allowed me to get to this point. A special thanks to TonyMac and this site.

I was wondering did you eventually get your system to sleep? I'm pulling my hair out with exactly the same configuration as yours and the hac goes to sleep, but doesn't wake up. Or, to be precise, wakes up but the screen remains black.

It was working fine in Lion.

Cheers
R

I remain unable to find a way to make sleep work properly. Also like everyone else iMessage is not working.

Thanks for the detailed procedure. I'm updating my Z68XP-UD4 system to ML (v late, I know, but Lion has been working so well...) and I want to make sure I understand what you did before I start on mine. The only question I have is with steps 14, 15, and 16. I'm not technical enough on Mac OS or Unix to know exactly what is being done in these steps and why. Can you please explain? Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back