I5-7600K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all at this wonderful website and firstly I would like to say thank you for all the info that is available to everyone.

I have a Macbook Pro 2011 but I now need something more powerful for my photography editing (Photoshop / Lightroom / Canon DPP) as well as general web browsing Emails etc;

After reading as much as I could from here and looking at the buyers guide, I went out and bought a few components to get me started and then hopefully build on the system. What I bought was:

Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad Core 3.6Ghz Turbo (Skylake)
GIGABYTE Intel Z170 HD3P (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
KINGSTON HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB) Memory Kit 2400MHz DDR4 - Black
ZALMAN Z9 Neo White ATX Tower Case

I had a spare 3Tb Seagate external drive so I removed that and put it into the case, just to get me up and running, I will replace with a SSD 128Gb for the OS later on.

I also have a spare Apple USB keyboard and mouse from my old G5. Along with a 27" Monitor

So off I go and do the build which took a couple of hours, well it was my first time and I did a couple of things wrong with cables and had to reroute them for neatness. Made the boot USB / install USB with MultiBeast and UniBeast and started the install. I tried for two hours to get a booting Hackintosh but to no avail, kept getting stuck on the Apple progress bar and then up pops the no entry sign. Eventually I realized where I had gone wrong, I had not formatted the internal hard disk, stupidly i thought the Apple installer would give me the disk utility but I never got to that stage. After removing the hard disk, formatting on my MacBook and trying again I had success. Everything went smooth, install took around twenty minutes and I had the El Capitan desktop on my screen.

After a bit of tinkering with MultiBeast I managed to get El Capitan to boot direct from the Hard disk but had no sound. After some searching I came across a Voodoo HDA installer that worked a treat, I now have sound.

The only thing I need now is a WiFi card and Bluetooth added for my Apple wireless keyboard and mouse (hate the wired USB keyboard)

Does anyone have a suggestion for the WiFi and Bluetooth fix, I really need those and then I'm all good, but I don't want to install cards and have my nicely working system screwed.

When I get those two items sorted I intend to get a graphics card for Photoshop work but I'm taking it slowly and not rushing to quick, patience is a virtue.

Once again, thank you all for all the help that is spread all over this site, wonderful tips and loads of fixes, I take my hat off to you all.

I'm also working on my first build. I picked up the following
For wifi,
TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)

Bluetooth,
GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter

I took all my hardware purchases from the buying guide. Have not built mine yet, so I don't have any better info.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back