Contribute
Register

Working 1T HD removed from my old iMac / Can I use it with the CustoMac Budget project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello guys,

My old 2008 iMac had a problem with the graphics card and stopped working properly (lines across the screen and then only working as external HD)

I have just removed the hard drive (1T Hitashi Sata 3.0 Gb/s, 7200RPM, 3.5 inch) and would like to use it to build a CustoMac Budget (not sure what the difference between the two CustoMac Budget projects is, but I'll pick the cheapest).

I have never done this before, so bear with me in case my question is too basic, and any hard drive goes.

The main thing is: snow leopard is installed, so I would like put it all together and use the hard drive as I left last time I accessed it. Is it possible?

Thanks a lot for your time!!!

PS: link to the power supply on amazon.de not working. Not sure which one to buy.

Dat Netzteil bei Alternate.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard will not work with current Ivy Bridge CPUs, you are better off with getting OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion via the Mac App Store (MAS) for 19 USD and use the Unibeast app to make an installer.

The 1 TB HDD will work, but it needs to be formatted to do so (which means all data on it will be lost), but an SSD, even a 128 GB SSD is a much better and snappier option, sometimes MediaMarkt and Saturn have 128 GB SanDisk SSDs for around 80 € if Alternate or KMComputer does not have the parts you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back