Contribute
Register

Working 10GbE SFP+ NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the card today and plugged it in. It is recognized by macOS.

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 19.39.23.png

Unfortunately, the connection doesn't come up. Just says "Cable unplugged"

I am connecting to a Ubiquiti USW 10G aggregation switch via a 10m Cat6 cable, hooked into an FS 10G ethernet transceiver.

I am on Catalina 10.15.7

- I can see on the switch that the physical layer seems to be up as it reports a 10G connection.
- I know that the transceiver works as I am using an identical one for connecting my Qnap NAS to the same switch.
- I know that the cable works as I have tested it on a 1G connection to another switch
- I have tried disabling autonegotiate of speed and settings and tried both 1G and 10G manually on both switch and NIC side.

Is there something else I should try? Is there perhaps a FW update I need to apply?

I can boot to Win10 (separate bootdisks) on the same computer and will now try that out.

Got the card today and plugged it in. It is recognized by macOS.

View attachment 512748

Unfortunately, the connection doesn't come up. Just says "Cable unplugged"

I am connecting to a Ubiquiti USW 10G aggregation switch via a 10m Cat6 cable, hooked into an FS 10G ethernet transceiver.

I am on Catalina 10.15.7

- I can see on the switch that the physical layer seems to be up as it reports a 10G connection.
- I know that the transceiver works as I am using an identical one for connecting my Qnap NAS to the same switch.
- I know that the cable works as I have tested it on a 1G connection to another switch
- I have tried disabling autonegotiate of speed and settings and tried both 1G and 10G manually on both switch and NIC side.

Is there something else I should try? Is there perhaps a FW update I need to apply?

I can boot to Win10 (separate bootdisks) on the same computer and will now try that out.

Try adding the following KextsToPatch in your config.plist:
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 3.52.42 PM.png

I now have the following in my config.plist:

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
<dict>
<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>
<key>KernelPm</key>
<true/>
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Find</key>
<data>YnVpbHQtaW4=</data>
<key>Name</key>
<string>AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>YmJiYmJiYmI=</data>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>AQC107 patch v3</string>
</dict>
</array>

Still says "Cable unplugged". I tried enabling the NIC in Windows 10, but the card seems finicky. Is detected, but won't start - Error Code 10. I am fearing I might have a dud or something with so old a firmware that it just dies all the time. Or perhaps the NIC HW just doesn't agree with the HW in my repurposed DELL OptiPlex 9020 (OptiMac)

Thank god I paid using PayPal so I can get my money back if it turns out to be a dud.

Anyway, going to spin up a vanilla W10 machine on some old hardware I have and see if I can get it to work in a clean environment, on different hardware. If that doesn't work, the card is going back.

I now have the following in my config.plist:

Still says "Cable unplugged". I tried enabling the NIC in Windows 10, but the card seems finicky. Is detected, but won't start - Error Code 10. I am fearing I might have a dud or something with so old a firmware that it just dies all the time. Or perhaps the NIC HW just doesn't agree with the HW in my repurposed DELL OptiPlex 9020 (OptiMac)

Thank god I paid using PayPal so I can get my money back if it turns out to be a dud.

Anyway, going to spin up a vanilla W10 machine on some old hardware I have and see if I can get it to work in a clean environment, on different hardware. If that doesn't work, the card is going back.

If it's also not working in Windows, it may very well be a defective card.

Second W10 machine I dropped it in didn't even recognize it in BIOS :-/

It was probably dying already, which is why I got some semblance of detection of the card at first.

I believe it's a dud now. Dang, it's not like there's a lot of these for sale.

@pastrychef If the Gigabyte branded one you have is also working OOB in Catalina, can you tell me the model name - I'll try and see if I can find that one instead - is it this one?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07544QS2H/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Last edited:
Second W10 machine I dropped it in didn't even recognize it in BIOS :-/

It was probably dying already, which is why I got some semblance of detection of the card at first.

I believe it's a dud now. Dang, it's not like there's a lot of these for sale.

@pastrychef If the Gigabyte branded one you have is also working OOB in Catalina, can you tell me the model name - I'll try and see if I can find that one instead - is it this one?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07544QS2H/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Please see this post. I listed the ones that I know work.

Slightly off topic,

Have theQnap 10gbe card and it works great.

However, after I boot into windows and restart back in the the Mac os, it won't connect.

I need to shutdown and pull the power plug to get it to show up again.

Any ideas? its annoying.

Thanks in advance

mdr

Catalina 10.15.7
9900k, Gigabyte Designare,
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMK32GX4M2E3200 - Black
1TB Inland NVME (MicroCenter) Boot
2TB Inland NVME (MicroCenter) Data and scratch
500GB SSD Windows
Sapphire RX580 Pulse
Noctua15ds Cooler
Qnap 10GBE card
Fenvi 919 wifi bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back