Contribute
Register

[WORKED] HDMI Audio on Sapphire HD 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z86 > Need make & full model > See Rules!
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
6850 HD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Where there's a will there's a way. Believe me it took me few days to figure it out, but I finally have HDMI audio. :mrgreen:

My mobo: Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 (rev1.3) bios F11, GPU: Sapphire HD 6850.

Before you start, make sure to follow the tutorials from here:
1. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31664
2. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31947

The third steps was kind a confusing for me but I finally able to crack it.
I try out different framebuffer for my computer, by typing"AtiConfig=framebuffer personality", on boot screen/Apple & tonymac logo.

There are 15 different framebuffer personality for ati 6000 series, so I try each one and check the HDMI audio by going to "System Prefs > Sound", some framebuffer personalities will have HDMI audio recognized right away. So it can definitely save time with editing kext files if you only intend of using HDMI connector.

But since I use both HDMI & DVI. I need to test framebuffer personality that have working HDMI audio after booting (Gibba) and/or DVI output (Bulrushes). Unfortunately I can only find framebuffer that has HDMI audio and not DVi. Vise versa with DVI but no HDMI audio.

So next step is to combine/ edit the binary in the kext file so both HDMI & DVI works.
I use Hex edit to edit the binary inside Ati6000controller.kext (I attached mine if anyone wants to use it, I use Gibba framebuffer). I took the hex line from Bulrushes for DVI and replaced it into Gibba hex line. I think either way it'll work just fine.

Once you're done with the edit install it using kext beast and reboot with HDMI connected to your computer and you're good to go. If for some reason your computer stuck try reboot using "GraphicsEnabler=No" and fix the kext files.

Thanks for toleda for the guides.

Attachments

• ATI6000controller_binary(Gibba_frame buffer_edit).png
    ATI6000controller_binary(Gibba_frame buffer_edit).png
    48.3 KB · Views: 804
  • ATI6000Controller.kext.zip
    454 KB · Views: 319
bulu2kaki said:
But since I use both HDMI & DVI. I need to test framebuffer personality that have working HDMI audio after booting (Gibba) and/or DVI output (Bulrushes). Unfortunately I can only find framebuffer that has HDMI audio and not DVi. Vise versa with DVI but no HDMI audio.

So next step is to combine/ edit the binary in the kext file so both HDMI & DVI works.
I use Hex edit to edit the binary inside Ati6000controller.kext (I attached mine if anyone wants to use it, I use Gibba framebuffer). I took the hex line from Bulrushes for DVI and replaced it into Gibba hex line. I think either way it'll work just fine.

Congratulations. You're very lucky. Bulrushes has 6 DisplayPort connectors (00 04 .. ..); there are no DVI/DL (04 00 .. ..) connectors. Gibba has 2xDP, DVI, HDMI (00 08 .. ..) and DVI/SL (00 02 .. ..). It works because the encoder of the HDMI connector is the same as the DP connector above (normally, not valid). Brute force does work.

I have a intel DH67CL mobo audio codec ACL892 I5 2500K CPU AND AMD RADEON HD 6850 graphics card I'm using HDMI for my connection but I have no audio I'm new to os x and I'm running Mountain Lion everything works but hdmi audio plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back