Gigabyte GTX 770 WINDFORCE OC3 2Gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[Solved] Only boot from unibeast with nv_disable=1 -x -v after 10.10.3 update

Hi there... Since last time I had A LOT of trouble after the 10.10.2 update I said to myself I would not update again....and then apple comes with 10.10.3 and the release of new application Photos... I could not resist.

I updated from a stable installation of 10.10.2, to 10.10.3 using the App Store. The install went ok but after I could not boot, at all. My system would hang for hours on the apple logo and the loading bar at 50%, booting with -x did not help and -x -v would only lead to a blackscreen +reboot

The only way I could boot was on a unibeast key (made with 10.10.3) with the flags -x -v nv_disable=1
So I thought it was a driver issue even though my 770 was running perfectly in Yosemite before, and I decided to install nvidia webdrivers. Still does not do the trick.

So it's been 2weeks now my computer is unusable and I don't know what to do, I feel desperate because I tried EVERY things :(
I uninstalled webdrivers, updated to the new 10.10.3 extra update, same problem, installed new nvvidia drivers, but same problem, so I desinstalled them. So I'm still stuck, can only boot with -v -x nv_disable=1 and only from the unibeast key. It's very slow and there is no sound so it's not really usefull.

if some one could help me that would be awesome.

also what is the difference between nv_disable and nvda_drv flag ? (My nvda_drv is set to 0 now).

cheers

PS :

When booting with -v, or -v nv_disable=1 it will stop and hang here :
FullSizeRender.jpg

and if I boot with just -v -x, it will go through this but my monitor goes off (no DVI signal)

the only way to boot is with the combination of -v -x nv_disable=1 , and only from the unibeast usb stick, if I try that from the SSD bootloader it will get strait black screen after a few lines drops.

My boot.plist has nothing special but nvda_drv=0 (that i put recently because I wanted to be sure it does not load the webdrivers) and IGPEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=No (only using the GTX 770, Integrated graphics is deactivated in the bios) that's how it was before and it was running perfectly.

I did not try to plg my screen on the motherboard ad re-activate internal graphics, I'm pretty sure it might work but it's not a solution, I need my GTX.

Hi there... Since last time I had A LOT of trouble after the 10.10.2 update I said to myself I would not update again....and then apple comes with 10.10.3 and the release of new application Photos... I could not resist.

I updated from a stable installation of 10.10.2, to 10.10.3 using the App Store. The install went ok but after I could not boot, at all. My system would hang for hours on the apple logo and the loading bar at 50%, booting with -x did not help and -x -v would only lead to a blackscreen +reboot

The only way I could boot was on a unibeast key (made with 10.10.3) with the flags -x -v nv_disable=1
So I thought it was a driver issue even though my 770 was running perfectly in Yosemite before, and I decided to install nvidia webdrivers. Still does not do the trick.

So it's been 2weeks now my computer is unusable and I don't know what to do, I feel desperate because I tried EVERY things :(
I uninstalled webdrivers, updated to the new 10.10.3 extra update, same problem, installed new nvvidia drivers, but same problem, so I desinstalled them. So I'm still stuck, can only boot with -v -x nv_disable=1 and only from the unibeast key. It's very slow and there is no sound so it's not really usefull.

if some one could help me that would be awesome.

also what is the difference between nv_disable and nvda_drv flag ? (My nvda_drv is set to 0 now).

cheers

PS :

When booting with -v, or -v nv_disable=1 it will stop and hang here :

and if I boot with just -v -x, it will go through this but my monitor goes off (no DVI signal)

the only way to boot is with the combination of -v -x nv_disable=1 , and only from the unibeast usb stick, if I try that from the SSD bootloader it will get strait black screen after a few lines drops.

My boot.plist has nothing special but nvda_drv=0 (that i put recently because I wanted to be sure it does not load the webdrivers) and IGPEnabler=No GraphicsEnabler=No (only using the GTX 770, Integrated graphics is deactivated in the bios) that's how it was before and it was running perfectly.

I did not try to plg my screen on the motherboard ad re-activate internal graphics, I'm pretty sure it might work but it's not a solution, I need my GTX.

Boot with nv_disable=1 then install the attached kext.

Repair Disk Permissions & Rebuild Caches with Kext Wizard.

Reboot and check the booting.

Attachments

• AppleGraphicsControl.kext.zip
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,474
Hi and thanks a lot for the answer,
unfortunately I forgot to mention that I tried that already, after trying the nvidia web driver which did not help, I installed this kext (but not with kext wizard)

I just downloaded kext wizard now and installed the kext again but nothing changes, still exactly the sakes symptoms. Maybe it is actually the source of the problem ? Should Uninstall it ?

thanks anyway, if you have any other Idea, I'm desperate, this cost me £1000 I took 100% compatible components but I think I'm kind of cursed, every is x update is terrible and stop me to use my Mac for 3weeks...

I just downloaded kext wizard now and installed the kext again but nothing changes, still exactly the sakes symptoms. Maybe it is actually the source of the problem ? Should Uninstall it ?

After installation have you ran the Repair Disk Permissions & Rebuild Caches from Kext Wizard.

Yes of course, just like you said :(
any other idea ?

I discovered something new which might help :

Booting with -v UseKernelCache=No from the unibeast usb stick, I get a different symptom :
it go through the line posted above then drops some more lines about nvidia and then goes black screen " no DVI signal ", and the fans goes to a normal speed. So I think it's actually booting but no video signal.

Adding nv_disable=1 I boot and see stuff, but very very laggy

Not sure if it's helpfull but thought I would mention it. As per before, using the sames flags when booting from the ssd (and not from unibeast usb stick) won't work and just black screen (but not off) after a couple of fast lines.

UPDATE =

I tried kext-dev-mode=1 -v From USB Stick

and I booted !!!

All working.
I am going to try the same straight from the SSD now...keep posted.

Edit : Work as well whithout booting from unibeast key. This is good, I can use my computer now at least.

However I don't know what is this flag and came to try it quite randomly after reading on the web. IS it dangerous ? I guess I could add it to my boot.plist but I would rather fix my problem because I never needed this before. Also my trim is not enabled anymore despite the fact I have the TrimEnabler path installed with multi beast, don't know if it's related to this boot flag.
thanks

UPDATE =

I tried kext-dev-mode=1 -v From USB Stick

and I booted !!!

All working.
I am going to try the same straight from the SSD now...keep posted.

Edit : Work as well whithout booting from unibeast key. This is good, I can use my computer now at least.

However I don't know what is this flag and came to try it quite randomly after reading on the web. IS it dangerous ? I guess I could add it to my boot.plist but I would rather fix my problem because I never needed this before. Also my trim is not enabled anymore despite the fact I have the TrimEnabler path installed with multi beast, don't know if it's related to this boot flag.
thanks

kext-dev-mode=1 is required on Yosemite to load unsigned kexts. It is really surprising that how you worked on 10.10.2/10.10.1 without this flag.

Add the flag to your org.chameleon.boot.plist file.

Well I assure you I don't remember of that at all, never had to put it, maybe it is by default in the boot.plist... Ok so that's normal then.

Thanks a lot for your time and help I've read a lot from you on other topics as well :)

any my idea why trim not enabled though ?

any my idea why trim not enabled though ?

Run the below codes on Terminal, Reboot and check the TRIM Support

Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x00\x41\x50\x50\x4c\x45\x20\x53\x53\x44\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Oh man..you're my hero :D

That did the trick indeed, thanks so much !! All running smoothly again now...

So what are exactly those two command lines doing / what was the issue (so at least I learn something) ?

Cheers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back