Contribute
Register

Wont boot and I can't get into BIOS after power failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MK ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hello.

A power failure in my building happened as I was starting up my computer and now it wont start. I get stuck on Republic of Gamers start screen and can't get into the BIOS Utility.

I've been running smoothly on Mojave for 2 years.

I've tried using every available USB port for my keyboard to get into the BIOS Utility but none works.
I've tried resetting the BIOS from the motherboard and clearing the CMOS without any success.

Is there anything more I can do or am I left with buying a new HD and installing clover and a new OS?

Thanks,

The Asus ROG Maximum XI Hero motherboard has a 'Bios Flashback' button and USB port.

Assuming you have access to another computer, I think you should download the latest Bios from the Asus support page - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xi-hero-model/helpdesk_bios.

Place the bios on a spare USB stick and see if the flashback button can access the new bios and reflash the system.

Screenshot of Bios Utility section from MB manual:

Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 14.54.55.png
Copy of the Motherboard manual (English) version is attached below.

Attachments

• E14809_ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_UM_V2_WEB.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I updated the BIOS and now I can get into the BIOS Utility by waiting ~15 mins. I get this message (IMG-7188).

What changes do I have to do? I seem to be running on opt. defaults.

I can find my SDD and my HDD.

Attachments

• IMG-7188.jpg
    IMG-7188.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
Glad to hear you have access to your Bios.

These are the bios settings you need to run macOS.
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
You may need to boot in to the bios a couple of times to find all the settings, as some only become visible when others have been set and you save and exit the bios.

Also you need to check each sub-menu as Bios developers like to hide settings in out of the way places.

Thank you for helping me! I remember doing this when I first built the computer.

I can however not seem to find and check/uncheck all the setting needed. This is how far I've gotten:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled CHECK
  2. VT-d : Disabled CHECK
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled CHECK
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled CHECK
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled CHECK
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled CHECK
  11. OS Type: Other OS CHECK
  12. Wake on LAN : Disable CHECK
Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1 CHECK
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot CHECK
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
In the ASUS motherboard manual I found the Serial Port settings (IMG_7747). but I can't find them in the BIOS for some reason.

I can't find anything about XMP Profile or UEFI Booting in the manual. Same goes for the unchecked Dedicated Graphics settings.

The Secure boot state option is uncheckable. I can however clear Secure boot keys. Don't know if that helps.

When I restart the computer it still takes about 15 minutes before I get into the BIOS Utility.

Attachments

• IMG_7747.png
    IMG_7747.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG-7194.jpg
    IMG-7194.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
Bios changes:
You need to be looking in the Advanced Mode, press F7 to switch from EZ Mode to Advanced Mode.
  • Item 5 - IO SerialPort might be called SuperIO.
  • Item 8 - UEFI Booting etc. is covered by the CSM (compatibility Support Module) section, which can be found on the Boot Menu, see page 3-23 in the manual. The options you ar looking for only appear when the CSM option is set to enabled.
  • Item 9 - Secure Boot this is also on page 3-23 in the manual
  • What does the Secure Boot State in IMG-7194.lpg show?
To be honest the Asus MB manual leaves a little to be desired, it would be more helpful if they showed a screen shot of all the options on the main pages and sub-menu pages. This would make it easier to find the various options.

Slow Boot:
It could be a number of issues or combination of issues causing the slow boot in to the bios, anything from a loose connection to a fried component (cable, HDD, SSD etc.).

I would recommend the following:
  1. Remove any OS or data drives and test them in another system if possible, to see if they cause the same slow boot issue.
  2. Try booting the system without any drives connected see if that changes how the system boots.
  3. If testing the drives in another system is not an option; add the drives back, one at a time, removing each tested drive before testing the next, to see if one particular drive is causing the slow boot.
  4. Try using different SATA connections from the motherboard to the HDD/SSD.
  5. Inspect the motherboard for any damage, burn marks or loose thermal cooling blocks over the transistors.
  6. Check each and every connection in the case, to ensure they are not damaged, burnt or loose.

I've been in Advanced Mode the whole time, but I still have a hard time finding all the settings.

Secure Boot is Enabled and greyed out. I've found that a lot of people have the same issue with the asus BIOS (not being able to disable Secure Boot) but I havn't found a fix.

All I can find about SuperIO in the manual is this (Screenshot-21-02-19). And yes I agree with you, I have a hard time following and finding all the settings, obviously.

I forgot about this but I ran into a similar problem about a year ago but a CMOS reset fixed it. Since then I've been running on opt. defaults. This should mean that there's another issue although the settings arn't perfect.

Here's what I found:
  • No HDD or SDD = Boots into BIOS just fine, takes 5 sec.
  • Only HDD = Black Screen + "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".
  • Only SSD = Slow Boot and gets into BIOS.
I used the same cables and connections. I don't really know what I'm doing but doesn't this tell me that the SSD is fried? I don't have the option to try it in another system.

Is the next step to buy a new SSD and install a new OS on it? Or do I try the same thing with new cables and different SATA connections?

Thank you again for helping me.

Attachments

• Screenshot-21-02-19 .jpg
    Screenshot-21-02-19 .jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 33
Sounds to me as if the SSD has been fried. You probably need to replace it. I had a similar problem with a SSD and HDD on a my son's Hack, took an absolute age to boot, all because the drives had been fried and were either dead or dying. Once I replaced the drives and SATA cables boot times went back to normal.

I would definitely replace the SATA cable that was/is serving the SSD, as it is likely to be damaged too.

The reason the HDD posts to the 'Reboot and select proper boot device' message is because you don't have a bootloader mounted on that drive and it may not contain a bootable OS. If you have a macOS Installation USB, try using that to boot the system, see what difference it makes. You might be able to boot to a cloned drive, or whatever OS is on the HDD.

The SuperIO initialisation error code is not really helpful, other than it confirms the name of the device ' SuperIO' and that the device will be within the SuperIO Configuration sub-menu. You need to search for this device in your Bios and disable it.

I created a new thread since I'm trying to get my system up using Catalina and now I need help getting the new system up and running again.

Last edited:
The link to the new thread is not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back