Contribute
Register

Won't boot after 2x4 Ram upgrade (several beeps & black scr)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there.

I tried to upgrade my hackintosh with 2x4 GB extra (I already have 2x2 GB Ram). I installed the Ram but when I tried to boot the hack just had a black screen and started beeping...

I pulled out the ram and then it would start up as usual. So it's the ram... What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,

Thor

My motherboard has 4 sockets for ram. When I exchange the 2x2 gb modules with the 2x4 gb modules everything works but of course I would like to use all my rams and have 12 instead of 8 GB.

Is there something regarding the mono that could cause the problem? Or the BIOS? Or maybe the color codes on the ram socket (2 of them are white and 2 of them are blue?) I have placed the pair of modules in the same color....

Br,

Thor

thampusbank said:
My motherboard has 4 sockets for ram. When I exchange the 2x2 gb modules with the 2x4 gb modules everything works but of course I would like to use all my rams and have 12 instead of 8 GB.

Is there something regarding the mono that could cause the problem? Or the BIOS? Or maybe the color codes on the ram socket (2 of them are white and 2 of them are blue?) I have placed the pair of modules in the same color....

Br,

Thor
if you have the manual book see what that color is, sometimes white is for some speed(800mhz) and blue for other (400mhz)(this is an exemple)

But All my ram are 1333 mhz ddr3 ram, same manufacturer, so it is the same ram!

if you are trying to run the ram in dual channel mode, try running them in single channel

How dó I change it to single channel?

itll be in the manual.

I think it automatically uses dual channel if available. The manual says nothing about switching between those 2. I do not understand anything... :(

you have 4 ram slots.
they should be 2 colours, blue and white for example.
the white slots will be a1 and b1. that will be dual channel mode.

to get single channel mode, youd put them in a1 and a2, the blue and white slots.

thats how its laid out on my asus board. check your manual

So i need to dó it like this?:

Slot 1 (blue): 8gb module
Slot 2 (white): 8gb module
Slot 3 (blue): 4gb module
Slot 4 (white): 4gb module

I've tried 8-4-8-4 and 4-8-4-8 and they won't make me boot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back