Contribute
Register

WindowServer keeps on crashing, Easily Reproducible by Force Quit in Activity Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming ITX/ac
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey everybody,

I have been mistaking this problem with a Fermi Freeze for a long time now, thankfully I don't have anymore Fermi Freezes but I keep having the WindowServer task crashing especially while using Chrome which I'm using the Stable version, with only AdBlock Plus extension enabled.

The problem is easily reproducible by just opening Activity Monitor and Force quitting the WindowServer task.

You'll find attached my Crash Log with all the messages I got.

Please if anyone can get to the root of this problem I would be eternally grateful as this is the last thing stopping me from having a fully functional Hackintosh :)

Attachments

• Crash Log.zip
    41.9 KB · Views: 93
Any help from you guys would be really appreciated :D

Hi, I don't know if this will but a few members did had some issues with Chrome (Only the browser and some sounds problems). So I don't know if that can be any help to you here is the link from a previous thread about 560ty Ferm Freeze

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ck-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a-36.html#post695209

Hopefully it will help.

Cheers!

P.S.: Do you have any insight or Fermi Freeze problems with any nVidia Card? I am currently using the GTX 560 GT and I get a few times some Freeze when I am playing world of warcraft under Maverick. Under ML it's fine since fermi freeze seems to works.

Which seems to not under Maverick, even tho I can see it listed under the User Process under Activity Monitor

Any ideas or help? :)

Cheers and ty!

Hi, I don't know if this will but a few members did had some issues with Chrome (Only the browser and some sounds problems). So I don't know if that can be any help to you here is the link from a previous thread about 560ty Ferm Freeze

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ck-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a-36.html#post695209

Hopefully it will help.

Cheers!

P.S.: Do you have any insight or Fermi Freeze problems with any nVidia Card? I am currently using the GTX 560 GT and I get a few times some Freeze when I am playing world of warcraft under Maverick. Under ML it's fine since fermi freeze seems to works.

Which seems to not under Maverick, even tho I can see it listed under the User Process under Activity Monitor

Any ideas or help? :)

Cheers and ty!

Actually it does work for me, the freezefix.app is awesome but you have to edit your AGPM.kext with the appropriate values first in order to completely stop the Fermi Freezes.

My problem with the freezes is gone but my problem with that WindowServer task that won't stop crashing is just frustrating.

I have increased my RAM from 4GB to 8GB and I've stopped using Chrome for a while and it didn't stop but it got less frequent.

Still if anyone can help me guys I would much appreciate it :D

Actually it does work for me, the freezefix.app is awesome but you have to edit your AGPM.kext with the appropriate values first in order to completely stop the Fermi Freezes.

My problem with the freezes is gone but my problem with that WindowServer task that won't stop crashing is just frustrating.

I have increased my RAM from 4GB to 8GB and I've stopped using Chrome for a while and it didn't stop but it got less frequent.

Still if anyone can help me guys I would much appreciate it :D

oh? I didn't knew that and how exactly do you edit that file in order to work? Or if should say what do I need to put and where is that?

Follow this guide :D but change the Device ID to match your device

How to patch your AGPM

0. You cannot use MacPro3,1 system definition, as it will not load the AGPM kext, I recommend that you use MacPro5,1. You can do that easily using MultiBeast:
macpro5%2C1.png

Also, when you're using MacPro5,1 system definition, don't forget to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from /System/Library/Extensions, as it may prevent you from booting.

1. Locate AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, then right/ctrl-click it and choose "Show package contents" to open it.

2. Open the Contents directory. You should see a file named "Info.plist", open it in a text editor of your choice. (the default TextEdit.app will do just fine)

3. Using cmd+F locate the MacPro5,1 section.

4. Now, you need to find your GPU's Device ID, it's under About This Mac -> More Info... -> System Report... -> PCI Cards. Vendor ID will be always
0x10de for Nvidia. My GTX 560 Ti's Device ID is 0x1200.

5. Change the "<key>Vendor10deDevice05e2</key>" accordingly. I have changed mine to "<key>Vendor10deDevice1200</key>".

6. Now, you need to change the Threshold Low and High numbers, here's what I use:
Code:
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>55</integer>
								<integer>40</integer>
								<integer>60</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>0</integer>
								<integer>75</integer>
								<integer>90</integer>
								<integer>100</integer>
							</array>
Basically, you can use anything you find on the internet, just remember to keep those 100s in last rows. This will prevent you card from going to state 3 (it will go there only if 100% idle...), which is where those freezes occur.

7. If you want to see how your GPU switches between those power states in Console, change that 0 under LogControl to 1.

8. Now you should be done with editing Info.plist. This is how mine looks like with changes highlighted:
Code:
				<key>MacPro5,1</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Vendor10deDevice[color=red]1200[/color]</key>
					<dict>
						<key>Heuristic</key>
						<dict>
							<key>ID</key>
							<integer>0</integer>
							<key>IdleInterval</key>
							<integer>250</integer>
							<key>SensorOption</key>
							<integer>1</integer>
							<key>SensorSampleRate</key>
							<integer>4</integer>
							<key>TargetCount</key>
							<integer>5</integer>
							<key>Threshold_High</key>
							<array>
								<integer>[color=red]55[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]40[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]60[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]100[/color]</integer>
							</array>
							<key>Threshold_Low</key>
							<array>
								<integer>[color=red]0[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]75[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]90[/color]</integer>
								<integer>[color=red]100[/color]</integer>
							</array>
						</dict>
						<key>LogControl</key>
						<integer>[color=red]1[/color]</integer>
						<key>control-id</key>
						<integer>18</integer>
					</dict>

9. Finally you should repair permissions and rebuild cache. I recommend using Kext Wizard for this:
kextwizard.png

Alternatively, you can do "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" in terminal and repair permissions from Disk Utility.

10. Reboot and enjoy!

i've the same problem.
After upgrading everything worked flawlessly for 1 day, then tried some things to reduce boot time (i turned on vt-d). and i bega having this problem, not even going back with time machine after a clean install worked:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back