Motherboard
MBP mid-2010
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
For my build I am considering running both windows server and OSX on the same HDD. I have seen the guides such as this one tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html (very useful!) but can't seem to find any information for server installs.

Would anyone be able add any knowledge to this? I presume that it would work on the same principal but would like to know if there will be any conflicts with unibeast not being able to see the partition or otherwise.

I also have a copy of windows 7 to use; so that will be my plan B if this doesn't work

Also just so I am sure of this; if I am planning to use two partitions, do I need to have the drive partitioned before starting? Or will there be a chance to do this during the initial installation process. I'm new to this process so am unsure how I'd go about partitioning a new HDD using only my MacBook..

Thanks in advance!

OK, never-mind about that second part, I see now that booting from a USB drive will allow you to partition a drive

Why Win server dual boot with OS X?

You do realize that when booting OS X the server dies. right? No server until you reboot Windows. Is this going to disrupt others using the server?

I realise this, I was planning to dual boot into server just to mess with it/for fun, because I can get a free copy of it through MS Dreamspark. Also so that a copy of windows would be available when I needed it, I saw that Server & standard were more-or-less interchangeable (with some finagling) after reading through the Win Server Workstation site.

Have been mulling over using Ubuntu instead though, which would mean triple-booting

I realise this, I was planning to dual boot into server just to mess with it/for fun, because I can get a free copy of it through MS Dreamspark. Also so that a copy of windows would be available when I needed it, I saw that Server & standard were more-or-less interchangeable (with some finagling) after reading through the Win Server Workstation site.

Have been mulling over using Ubuntu instead though, which would mean triple-booting

OK, that would work. Best to have Ubuntu on its own drive also, but it will also share space with either OS X or Win7/8 on the same drive. Just remember that when you get to the first screen and it gives you choice to install or something else, choose something else, set up your partitions manually and make sure you select the root partition to install Grub2 (or create a /boot partition and install it there). This is especially important if you are installing it on the same drive with another OS because Grub will take over the boot sectors and you will be booting with Grub instead of Chimera/Chameleon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back