Contribute
Register

Windows 8 + OS X (10.8) on the same single SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no need for Boot Camp on PCs.

Roger that. I was more hoping I could get ML to do some work for me, like partitioning my HDD/SSD and setting the appropriate boot options. Probably that will only work on an Apple system with Apple's EFI. I was just planning on not using the BC drivers, etc... that are installed as a part of the BC process.

Thanks for the consideration though.

Roger that. I was more hoping I could get ML to do some work for me, like partitioning my HDD/SSD and setting the appropriate boot options. Probably that will only work on an Apple system with Apple's EFI. I was just planning on not using the BC drivers, etc... that are installed as a part of the BC process.

Thanks for the consideration though.
The following procedure requires a bootable USB drive or rBoot to complete it.

You can have ML do the work for you if it is already installed. Just run disk utility, select the ML partition in the left pane, and in the right pane put the pointer at the bottom right of the partition block, hold down the left mouse button and drag the partition upward, watching the size block until you have at least 60Gb (100Gb is better) of free space. Click in the free space, click on + and follow the prompts to add the partition and format it MSDOS FAT.

Then put the Windows install DVD in the tray and reboot, hitting the function key that allows you to select the boot device. You will see the DVD twice - once plain and once with EFI in front of it. Select the plain one and hit enter to boot it. Use the installer to select the partition you created, select advanced button, click on format, click on continue and install Windows. When you finish creating your user, update Windows until it says no more updates available. Remove the install DVD from the tray, insert the bootable USB or rBoot and reboot, again hitting the function key to select a boot device and choose the USB or rBoot CD. Then choose ML at the Chimera screen. At the desktop, re-install Chimera with either MultiBeast or the standalone installer.

Enjoy your dual boot.

I did exactly, what you recommended here:
- partitioned in Disk Utility,
- reserved a FAT Partition for Windows
- installed OSX without Bootloader
- installed Windows
- booted into OSX with the Unibeast stick
- installed Chimera 2.0.1 r2109 using MultiBeast

But the Bootloader doesn't appear. Windows 8 boots without letting me choose the System. If I boot from the Unibeast Stick I can choose OSX and boot into OSX.

The board is a z77-DS3H.

A few months ago I installed a win7/OSX dual boot in just the same way and it works like a charm (see my profile).

I tried to resync the MBR with parted but with no success.

Do you have any suggestions?

I did exactly, what you recommended here:
- partitioned in Disk Utility,
- reserved a FAT Partition for Windows
- installed OSX without Bootloader
- installed Windows
- booted into OSX with the Unibeast stick
- installed Chimera 2.0.1 r2109 using MultiBeast

But the Bootloader doesn't appear. Windows 8 boots without letting me choose the System. If I boot from the Unibeast Stick I can choose OSX and boot into OSX.

The board is a z77-DS3H.

A few months ago I installed a win7/OSX dual boot in just the same way and it works like a charm (see my profile).

I tried to resync the MBR with parted but with no success.

Do you have any suggestions?

You probably have a 4k/AF hard drive. Try boot0 fix: http://www.tonymacx86.com/25-boot0-error-official-guide.html

Thanks a lot, the first way with "diskutil unmountDisk" and dd did it. One should choose the USB stick as source, otherwise it doesn't work ;)

Well, wile the boot menu appeared, Windows was missing. I used gparted to resync the partition tables.

For the records:
gparted Shows four entries:

EFI
OSX
Unallocated
NTFS

I marked only the EFI Partition as bootable and resynced with

gptsync /dev/sda

Again, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back